web pages keeps freezing?

jaygrunt 14:46 09 Sep 2008

I have got a Windows Xp home edition with 'SP3 installed'(I updated it myself) computer,its got AMD Athlon 64*2 Dual core 3800+ 2.01 ghz and 2gb of ram
I have Avira Antivir Personal installed.
The problem is it freezes the web pages if I try and open another page in Internet Explorer.It does this about 50% of the time and its starting to really really really annoy me!
The only way I can get out of the page is 'control Alt delete'which, as you can imagine, gets quite tedious after a while.

Has anybody got any idea as to what this could be and any suggestions to fix it please.

Many Thanks

chub_tor 14:51 09 Sep 2008

IE 6 or 7?

oldbeefer2 15:59 09 Sep 2008

I had this and another forum suggested turning off auto updates. Didn't think it would make any difference, but it cured the problem!

jaygrunt 23:14 09 Sep 2008

Hi

chub_tor
Tue, 09/09/[email protected]:51

IE 6 or 7?
I dont know how you find this out??? any advice would be welcome Thx

jaygrunt 23:15 09 Sep 2008

Hi

Sorry but can you tell me if you mean windows updates or my anti virus because I dont know how to switch off the windows updater?
Again advice would be very welcomed

Thx

oldbeefer2 11:02 10 Sep 2008

Control Panel, Security Centre, Auto Updates. I ticked the 'advise me...' box, so I choose when to download them.

chub_tor 20:53 10 Sep 2008

You can find whioh version of Internet Explorer that you are using by clickin on Help, About Internet Explorer. A pop up window will tell you your version.

woodchip 21:05 10 Sep 2008

Why not try Flock click here

click here

jaygrunt 00:10 11 Sep 2008

chub_tor

Thx for that I did what you said and it came up as 6.0.2900 and some other numbers.DOes help you in helping me at all?

woodchip 10:31 11 Sep 2008

I used to use IE bur got fed-up with mending it. hears how to. Either Search for IE.inf files and double click the file, or go to Control Panel\Add Remove Programs and Double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer the choose Repair

woodchip 10:43 11 Sep 2008

The problem may be your Computer not IE. I you have more than one stick of Ram try running it on just one stick at a time test each so you can find out if you have a faulty stick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017