web pages hampered by animation

daba 13:23 31 Jan 2010

Some web pages on my Windows 2000 Pro PC are severely hampered by any animation that has already been downloaded on that page.

Typical example : the Facebook Zynga Poker "loading" page, starts to load pretty quickly, but as soon as the flying chips start to appesr (flash animation), it slows to a crawl and overall takes about 3 minutes to completely load.

Other pages that have sidebar animated adverts I have to scroll the adverts off the screeen to get the the page to fully load in a reasonable time, or if I've clicked a link on that page, i have to scroll the ads off to get the link to work.

Anyone seen this behaviour before, and any ideas how to cure it?

GaT7 13:43 31 Jan 2010

There are settings in IE that allows one to turn off animations, etc. IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Mulimedia.

If that's no help, you can also try another browser which has a feature to disable these things. E.g. in Avant Browser (click here) one can easily disable certain enhancements with 2 clicks - a screenshot click here. G

daba 15:11 31 Jan 2010

Respectfully Crossbow7, that is jut hiding the problem, not solving it.

Incidentally this occurs with both IE6 (which I don't normally use, but is up to date), AND Firefox, up to date at 3.5.7 on this Desktop PC.

On my laptop, which runs XP, and IE8, these pages I have trouble with load just fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone