Web page design for a clot

carl48 16:40 31 Aug 2003

I've been happily surfing for five years and admiring other people's websites. Only now have I plucked up the courage to have a go at designing my own. Thing is, I don't know how or where to start. Can anyone recommend a book for total beginners like me, and also the best program to help me design a page that won't look like the dog's regurgitated breakfast?

I traced 'The Idiot's Guide to Web Design' at Amazon but the blurb said it wasn't suitable for complete beginners! Seems what I need is a Mega-Idiot's Guide.

muppetmark 16:47 31 Aug 2003

Have a look in our own web design forum several people have asked the same question recently :-)

Joe McG 16:47 31 Aug 2003

carl48,

This is a good site, with well thought out and easy to follow steps.

Look forward to first viewing of your site. Good luck. Joe.

Joe McG 16:47 31 Aug 2003

OOOpsclick here

pj123 17:23 31 Aug 2003

Like you, I started off as a clot. Have you got Microsoft Publisher? that's what I started with, so easy to design a website. But it has its snags. It seems to change everything to .gif which makes it slower to load. I now use Dreamweaver MX.

Pesala 18:58 31 Aug 2003

Designing a website is as easy as choosing a template and filling it in. That will get you started. Free download from click here

pj123 10:11 01 Sep 2003

I downloaded WebPlus 6 from Serif but there weren't any templates with it. I rang Serif who offered me a CD full of templates for £6.95. When I told them I was a registered user of all their other sofware they waived the cost and sent me the CD for free. Not used it yet, as the company I do some work for has Dreamweaver MX which I can use when I am there.

ordep 10:21 01 Sep 2003

Found this little jem the other day.
Your website creation made easy!

Create a dynamic and animated website in minutes with WEBCREATOR V.2. Easy-to-use, with no programming knowledge required, WEBCREATOR will guide you step by step from the creation to the publication of your website.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone