web Page

lazanda 15:34 13 Aug 2004

I want to put up a site for my department on the internet to reach our vendors doesnt have to be available or searchable by the public, just a thing between our companies.

I use dreamweaver mx and I know all that side. But how do I get webspace (about 100mb) and a name etc ? I have no clue so if I could get step by step it would be great.

Thanks

Forum Editor 17:48 13 Aug 2004

and you "know all that side", but you don't know how to get web-space and a name? That leads me to believe that you've never published a site.......so how come you know all about site design?

Leaving that aside for now, here's what you do:-

1. Choose a web host. There are literally thousands of them, but I assume you'll want a good, solid company. That being the case I suggest you take a look at
click here These people approach web hosting in a thoroughly professional way, and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

2. Select a Linux or Microsoft hosting package. Your choice will obviously depend on the type of site you're going to run, but you'll know that anyway.

3. Select a domain name.

4. Sign up and pay the required fee - usually for a 12 month hosting period. Your domain name registration will take a couple of days to go through, and when it does........

5. Publish your site to the server.

At this stage the site will be visible to anyone on the internet - you'll have to operate a username/password access system if you want to exclude everyone except those people in your vendor companies. Once again I assume you'll know about that as well.

Good luck - come back to your thread if you need any further advice.

infostarved 20:49 13 Aug 2004

Hi,
I am new to everything to do with computors but have put my site casadaterrina.com on the web with infinology.com very easy and reasonable and they respond very quickly to your e-mails.

lazanda 10:27 16 Aug 2004

The reason I know about web design and use such packages is that I have uploaded a website but only a personal one that I got free with my isp subscription.

For example I had NTL and I got free web space which I have uploadad to but thats just a case of following their (NTL) instructions.
I have never just got a host, space domain name etc directly and I didnt know if that was different.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all this info, it tells me exactly what I want to know.

With reference to user names and passwords I dont know anything about this as I have never done it.

If you can drop me any hints it would be much appreciated. I will follow this link now and check out 1&1.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Forum Editor 19:33 16 Aug 2004

booked, come back to your thread and let us know - we'll go through the options as far as password protection is concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone