web hosting

conrail 09:37 06 May 2009

fasthosts have just given me my renewal costs for my web site and domain name, just over £62 for the year, surely I can get it cheaper elsewhere, can anybody recomend other hosting services please, also is it easy to retain my domain name if and when I transfer? all help and advice gratefully accepted

babybell 09:53 06 May 2009

click here

Click On Web Hosting

They have £9, £35 or £49 a year hosting prices.

Never any down time and good customer service.

babybell 09:55 06 May 2009

Transferring your domain name is easily done, but its best to ring the customer services number of which ever company you use to make sure its done properly

conrail 10:59 06 May 2009

thanks babybell, I have a couple of months before I am due to update but that has been a great help, I have also found this click here which leads to click here which looks promising, I noticed that fasthosts at No. 7 are charging £8.99 a year for the domain name, must ask them why that have told me it will be £10.45 a year? I appreciate your help

OTT_Buzzard 11:03 06 May 2009

Am using justhost for several domains at the moment - perfect for what i need, good tech support (i've used it a bit) and cheap!

conrail 11:25 06 May 2009

thanks OTT_Buzzard, when will the best time to change over, just before my due date or what?

OTT_Buzzard 11:31 06 May 2009

If you are not paying a monthly charge for hosting then it probably doesn't matter too much, just make sure you allow at least 10 days, just in case.

There is a little bit of possible good news here: most domains are actually taken out on a two year lease by the registrars, but then the hosting companies charge per year. If you are not at the end of the 2 year lease then transferring now means that you won't have to pay anything for the renewal! If you can give the domain that you are transferring it is quick to look up (click here)

scotty 11:51 06 May 2009

I have my domain name and hosting separate. For hosting, I use click here who offer a very reasonable £9.99 / year (500MB web space). I have found them reliable and on the only occassion I had to contact them the service was excellent. Limited space but sufficient for a personal website. Other packages offer more space.

conrail 16:38 06 May 2009

thanks OTT_Buzzard and scotty, domain name renewal date is 20 October 2009, hosting renewal date is 19 October 2009, 5 months away but don't want to end up paying for another year if I can get it cheaper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?