Web Hosting

manrow 07:39 03 Apr 2008

For anyone intending to setup a website, this subject looks the most daunting.

Any advice on how I set about selecting a suitable web hosting company; as a private individual where price very does matter?

Bagsey 08:11 03 Apr 2008

If you want a personal web site or one that is not massive in size have a look at click here or click here
I have used both and am currently on Geocities. Both very good and free.

Taff™ 08:30 03 Apr 2008

Heart Internet click here As recommended by FE as well as myself.

manrow 09:46 03 Apr 2008

Looking at these suggested websites raises all sorts of other problem decisions!

How do I assess how much webspace I may need?

Is a personal website a good place to securely store family photographs?

MAJ 10:09 03 Apr 2008

"How do I assess how much webspace I may need?"

That depends on what you're going to use the webspace to hold, manrow. It sounds like you're going to upload pictures, so, what is the combined size of all your pictures? That's how much webspace you're going to need + a bit extra for future uploads.

What's more important is the amount of bandwidth you'll need. Basically, if your site
is 100MB in size (your pictures combined file size) and 10 people view all the pictures, that's 1GB of bandwidth per month you will need to be allowed by your provider before being charged extra.

"Is a personal website a good place to securely store family photographs?"

It's as safe as anywhere else, but as with all important files, the 'belt and braces' approach is best, have them backed up to several different places (website, external drive, CD/DVD media, etc.) in case of a catastrophic failure of one aspect of your backup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone