Web Hosting

Brazils 20:29 10 Oct 2003

I have a Web site that I made using mostly FX and Word. At the moment it is on a free yahoo address. Its my first attempt.

I am thinking of getting my own domain from Oneandone (1&1), but I am confused as to which Home package I need, Linux or Microsoft? I have visited the Website but it sort of assumes you know what package you want.

Do you need Linux?

Whats the difference between the two hosting packages? I know one is £4.99 and the other £5.99
Whats recommended?

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:45 10 Oct 2003

I am not sure, but I think the MS one is for the use of Front Page extensions. I may be completely wrong about this, but I'm almost sure its mentioned in their adverts.
Cheers, Whiz...

Forum Editor 09:41 11 Oct 2003

Linux is a very stable server platform, but then so are Windows servers - they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

This isn't the place for an exhaustive (and exhausting) discourse about the pros and cons of both platforms, because in your situation it won't matter which you use. If you do decide to use Microsoft FrontPage, and you want to use any of the special components that are part of the software you'll need to have the server extensions installed by your web host. These are free to download from Microsoft, but many hosts make a charge for installing them on the server. Many more don't, and lots of hosts have them installed as a matter of course. The extensions can be installed for an Apache server running Linux by the way, so no problems there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?