Web Host with weekend telephone support

vlilley 16:49 19 Feb 2007

I’ve been trying in vain to find a suitable web hosting company with weekend telephone support.

My current ISP package, which I’ve had for years is out of date, only 20Mb web space, and I can’t get through to sales.

I was recommended one. However, I have been put off by their claim of a free domain name supplied with the hosting package, which in their terms and conditions turns out to be theirs, you are just renting it from them.

I’ve recently tried all the London companies on the Internet Service Providers Association web site. I found 3. However, when I tried to access their web sites, one timed out and the other two had security certificate problems. Hardly encouraging.

Can anyone help?

vlilley 13:56 20 Feb 2007

I can't understand why you are confused. I don't state anywhere that I'm looking for freespace.

Z1100 21:47 20 Feb 2007

click here

Hanx!
K.

vlilley 15:32 22 Feb 2007

I did a previous reply but it didn’t post.

Heart tells you to use a form every time.
Storm doesn’t have telephone support.
Fasthosts looked promising but is a case of ‘say no to 0870.’
Strangely enough the person from my network who also suggested heart, suggested I looked at the ‘say no to 0870’ web site. A spinoff from this was noticing a moneysavingsexpert.com site with advice about saving money using 0870. So this makes Fasthosts a bit more of a possibility.

However, zenwebhosting.com, which I turned down because of problems buying SSL, is back as a possibility, as it seems I don’t need SSL if I’m using paypal. They are using 0845 numbers, which is more acceptable.

Need to spend some more time deciding but hopefully it will be one of these.

Thanks again.

Vic

ajm 20:02 22 Feb 2007
  vlilley 14:46 26 Feb 2007

Any hosting company that takes that long to load their own web site, doesn't get mine.

bennyhillslovechild 15:22 26 Feb 2007

How about 1and1? They always seem to get good reviews, and you get quite a bit for your money.

click here

vlilley 12:01 27 Feb 2007

I clicked for 1&1 but they too are a case of 'say no to 0870'

Zen looked promising apart from SSL being paid yearly
when everything else was monthly. But when I looked at domain names they were about £50 for 2 years.

So I've decided to go for simply.com. I don't like them offering free domain names on hosting packages but the terms and conditions saying they are only rented. But they are contactable and on 0845 numbers.
I started with them so it has been a bit of a waste. But I have read their 40 pages of terms and conditions.

I'll bear in mind the two 0870 ones suggested when I get up for reducing 0870 number costs.

It has been much more complicated making an informed selection on an ISP than I realised and the time spent, way out of proportion to the cost.
Although the consequential costs of choosing an unsuitable ISP can be significant.

Thanks anyway.

gell 14:45 27 Feb 2007

Namesco.has given me fantastic support at little price. Highly recommended

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?