Web Cams & Youtube etc

Jonah(without the whale) 20:49 16 Feb 2009

Help please.
I want to acquire a web cam but I have some questions.
1 - can I record my image or images with a web cam and then post it to youtube etc?
2 - if I want to use a web cam to contact and speak with people what do I need as well as the camera?
3 - what can I expect from a web cam in terms of image, resolution etc.
I've looked and cannot find any advice that I can trust.
Cheers

BigCam 21:08 16 Feb 2009

Hi
Regarding contacting people/talking ect
Some webcams have a built in mic for that purpose
If not you will need to buy a mic also
Checkout the reviews for webcams on here under Reviews/Hardware /Cameras/webcams
Gives you all the info needed

Technotiger 21:24 16 Feb 2009

All you need is Skype, click here with a webcam and mic you can talk to people World-wide for Free, and for as long as you like. The people you are talking to must also be using Skype.

I use it, and my webcam is the Logitech Pro9000 - it is absolutely superb. You can make recordings which can be saved on your hard drive, to do just what you want with.

Picture quality from my cam is Excellent, and pixel-wise it can be run from 320x240 (for emailing) and with another seven settings up to 8Meg for general use.

Technotiger 21:27 16 Feb 2009

This is my webcam - currently half-price at click here

Jonah(without the whale) 08:52 17 Feb 2009

Thanks guys
This is great. I now know what I can do, and what I have to do.
bad new is I'm at work right now, so I'll I wil be able to check out the links etc. tomorrow.
Thanks again.

oldbeefer2 09:49 17 Feb 2009

Deffo recommend the camera suggested by Technotiger. When downloading Skype, make sure you go for version 3.8 - there is a later,Beta version out, but it has not been well received.

Jonah(without the whale) 11:41 17 Feb 2009

Thanks oldbeefer2 - all information worth knowing. Skype 3.8 it will be. I always steer clear of beta version of aything. I've enough trouble in my life already.
I haven't really thought of the price of cameras, and of course, I want one that will give good quality picture and sound. But me being a tight fisted kind of guy am now wondering, what is the cheapest I can pay to get accepatble quality. I lke the suggeste camera by the way, but are there cheaper ones available? I wil be looking around, of course.
Cheers

Technotiger 11:54 17 Feb 2009

At the moment the Pro9000 is virtually half-price at Amazon, you just will not get a better camera at less than that.

I am sure you will be disappointed if you settle for anything less!

oldbeefer2 12:38 17 Feb 2009

Cheaper cameras will work (the built-in one on my Dell laptop must have been cheap as chips), but will give a more pixilated picture (the resolution is much lower)and the video will be less smooth (slower refresh rate). But, if you just want to video chat they're OK. Not so good for posting to Youtube, though. Push the boat out and go for the Logitech Pro 9000!

Jonah(without the whale) 17:22 17 Feb 2009

Thanks again.
Technotiger has it in one - I don't want to be disappointed and oldbeefer2 has explained to me the problems of being a cheapskate! (not that I am accusing your of course).
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'm going to have to think about this. But the recommendation is hard to ignore.

oldbeefer2 17:49 19 Feb 2009

I've downloaded it to try, and it seems OK. If not, 3.8 can still be downloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017