web browsers(IE6 or Firefox) shutdown immediately

dominoboy 18:56 21 Dec 2006

i've been using Tiscali PayAsYouGo with IE6 in Windows 98se and decided it was time to get broadband.
i inserted an Orange CDROM cos they were doing free 1 month trials. it must have changed all my settings. i couldn't connect. i then tried to remove the orange settings and reloaded a tiscali CDROM.
Now as soon as i connect to internet get error message saying IE must shutdown. then tried Firefox, just the same. clicked on firefox error details, it says "firefox has caused an invalid page fault in module unknown> at 0000:00000009" etc.
Now can't get any access to internet. Please help

chub_tor 09:53 22 Dec 2006

Can you do a System Restore to a date before you made the change from Tiscali to Orange?

dominoboy 18:39 22 Dec 2006

hi chub_tor. i'll give that a go and let you know.

dominoboy 12:36 23 Dec 2006

System Restore not possible, don't think it's available in W98. Looked at Registry backups, but all come after problems occured (don't know if this would've helped).
i'll keep looking for problem but i might
look at radical solution: new hard disk + new operating system(xp). i was going to update at some point.

chub_tor 17:14 23 Dec 2006

You are correct that Win98 doesn't have System Restore. Most of my experience has been with Win Me and XP so I am not of much help to you. Perhaps someone else can help. Good luck

main identity 02:31 26 Dec 2006

try reinstalling ie6 or ie7 and or firefox then set up Tiscali PayAsYouGo again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?