Web based e-mail accounts ??

Kalb 21:01 06 Dec 2003

Can anyone explain the difference between a web based e-mail account and other forms of e-mail account....and what are they ? Some discussion forums will not accept web based accounts but yet PCA does.

recap 21:18 06 Dec 2003

NTL, BT, Freeserve etc are web based email, Outlook Express, Outlook etc are email clients.

Kalb 21:27 06 Dec 2003

Thanks Recap but aren't all e-mail accounts via BT,Freeserve,NTL etc How would you set up an e-mail address/account through Outlook Express without being connected via an ISP?

powerless 21:37 06 Dec 2003

Yahoo [ click here ], Hotmail [click here] is an example of web based email. Web based email is accessed through your Internet Explorer so you can access the email from anywhere in the world that has the internet.

Other forms of email, well the one given to you by your ISP. POP3 mail is an example of this. You need a mail client to access your email, for example Outlook Express. The mail client will check for new messages and you can compose, send and do whatever you want with your email through outlook express.

Webbased email is FREE

Whereas POP3 email is what you get when you join an ISP [part of the package].

However in saying that web based email can also be accessed through the mail client, and POP3 mail can be accessed via the Internet Explorer usually via your ISP's homepage.

The reason some websites do not allow web based email is because its take minutes to create an acount and a forum will not really know who you are. [Someone else will expand on this i'm sure]

Who are you using for your mail and if it is possible we'll tell you how to set everything up through Outlook Express.

Forum Editor 21:57 06 Dec 2003

will offer a web-based email facility, even though you have a POP3 mailbox.
As has already been explained, POP3 is where your email is retrieved from your private directory on a mail server and displayed in your email 'client' as it's called - such as Outlook Express.

With webmail you look at the email while it's still on the mailserver, and you can do it in a web browser from any computer, anywhere in the world. That's the real advantage of webmail - you can read and send wherever you are, and the mail is retained on the server for you to download to your PC later - unless you delete it there and then, whilst you're online.

You obviously have to be connected to the internet to use either mail service, and whereas you can retrieve mail from any POP3 mailbox when you're connected to your ISP (even one that's hosted on another server) you can only send mail via your ISP's outbound mail server - called an SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) server. If you connect to one ISP and try to send via another's SMTP server it won't work.

Kalb 22:05 06 Dec 2003

Comprehensive Powerless, thanks for the explanation. I'm an original BT Click pay as you go mail client. When originally connected I could receive my e-mail from BTClick but since changing computers I'm now set up to receive mail via Outlook Express......I'm not sure BTClick still exists....now BT Openworld....I'm still pay as you go. Whatever I've got its web based as I'v been refused entry to a rival discussion forum ! Its their loss !!

Kalb 22:12 06 Dec 2003

Thanks FE the picture is becoming clearer...I must say most of us just assume that all accounts are much alike and that the only difference is in the ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?