Weak DSL Signal??

Blue screen of death666 21:01 26 Oct 2007

Please help!
Am I being fobbed off?...I purchased a Belkin ADSL Modem Router.My BT Voyager usb Modem works fine ,but I wanted to move to wireless.When I plugged in the new Belkin,the dsl light would keep flashing,so no dsl line recognized.After a few calls to belkin,they said that it must be faulty.Returned it today,changed it for a Zoom model at Pc world.Got it home and it was the same,dsl light wont sync and keeps flashing.Took it to my brothers house,5 Min's down the road,plugged it in there,dsl flashed a few times and then stayed on!!..came home and rang Plusnet.Explained it all to them...USB modem working,and the two dsl wireless not, and they came back to me and said that I must have a weak dsl line as I must be a fair way from the exchange.Basically said there was nothing they could do and that was it??
Am I being fobbed off?...Can BT turn up the line??..If I am stuck with this,Can I set up a wireless system using my USB Modem??..if I can,what do I need??
regards
Tony

FatboySlim71 21:50 26 Oct 2007

Do you have any idea as to how far from your telephone exchange you live? There is a site where you can get an approximate distance but I can't find this link at present, some of the other forum members may know it.

It might be an idea as well to check if any of your filters are faulty.

FatboySlim71 21:53 26 Oct 2007

Is the USB modem wireless, can you see an aerial on it. Something makes me think though that USB modems are NOT wireless (I could be wrong though)

Blue screen of death666 22:02 26 Oct 2007

The usb modem is not wireless...its a Bt usb job,cable in usb out....the one that wont link up is a Zoom 6 from pc world....that has a modem which plugs but it will not sync...

Lettervanman 22:02 26 Oct 2007

"There is a site where you can get an approximate distance but I can't find this link at present, some of the other forum"

Samknows.com Is this the one?

FatboySlim71 22:30 26 Oct 2007

The site I was thinking of give you a rough distance to the exchange from the house (:-)

woodchip 22:51 26 Oct 2007

You should be able to connect to the router even without gdetting on the Net Don't think its the distance. Have you put the settings from your router into the Laptop settings Like SSID and Encription key?

Dipso 22:57 26 Oct 2007

No you are not being fobbed off. USB modems can often achieve a sync when routers can't.

If you aren't already, try connecting through the Master socket in your home and if it is the new NTE5 type with a removeable faceplate, try connecting the router through the test socket underneath the faceplate. You could also try checking out your internal phone wiring as per the guide click here

See if you can obtain your line stats from the BT Voyager see
click here

If it turns out you are some distance from the exhcange, some routers can handle longer lines better than others, the Netgear DG834G is one.

setecio 10:07 27 Oct 2007

>>> If it turns out you are some distance from the exhcange, some routers can handle longer lines better than others, the Netgear DG834G is one. <<<

I've read that on various places, but have never read anyone state if that is true for all versions. I believe v3 uses a different chipset to v2 and now there is a v4. Do you happen to know if this applies to all the versions of the DG834G.

Blue screen of death666 11:40 27 Oct 2007

I am only 1.78kms from the exchange.....other people on the estate use dsl routers with no problem..

Dipso 15:09 27 Oct 2007

I didn't realise Netgear were still producing these...a v4 you say! Well I can only comment on the v2 which is as you say same chipset as v1. Not had direct experience of v3.

Other routers that work well on longer lines are the BT Business Hub aka 2wire 2700HGV or the Speedtouch 585v6.

Blue screen of death666 - Is that distance direct line? In reality it could be a lot longer as the wire could go all around the houses before it gets to you but if neighbours can use routers I would suggest you check your internal wiring as advised and maybe try a better filter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?