WD My Book Ext HDD Not Recognised/wont boot

Air_Man 09:25 02 Jun 2007

I have just bought a WB Mybook Essentials 250GB external HDD for my parents and when first connected to the PC, everything worked fine. I set about formatting the drive but unfortunately during the formatting, my mother accepted a reboot after MS Update had intalled its stuff (I had just left the room for a minute!!)

Since then, Windows refused to recognise the drive. I have tried the drive on another machine, and it worked fine. The cable has been checked, and its been tried in all the USB ports and those ports checked - all fine.

The drive doesn't show up in BIOS and there is nothing apparently wrong in the Device Manager. I've tried powering it off, then on - nothing. When I connect it to the PC, the front light comes on, but nothing in Windows.

Mobo is Asus A8N-SLI Premium, AMD XP 3500+ processor, 2GB RAM, Win XP Pro (fully updated). This was my old system, and it worked fine with my personal 500GB MyBook.

I have also done a complete reinstall over Windows, SP2 and all updates, and then, on connecting the drive, it was recognised and I managed to format it. However, on doing a reboot, the system would not get beyond the initial stages of the POST - simply showing the header (BIOS revision details) and the processor, with the F5 and F8 options at the bottom. On unplugging the drive, and trying a reboot, it booted perfectly but then would not recognise the drive when plugged bag in with WIndows running.

Any thoughts pls???

FatboySlim71 09:40 02 Jun 2007

With you saying 'However, on doing a reboot, the system would not get beyond the initial stages of the POST - simply showing the header (BIOS revision details) and the processor, with the F5 and F8 options at the bottom. On unplugging the drive, and trying a reboot, it booted perfectly"

It sounds like your PC is trying to boot from the external hard drive. If you could, can you check to see which hard drive the pc is set to boot from. Could you also tell me how the PC's hard drive connects to the motherboard, i. e, SATA, IDE etc.

I own a WD My Book and the odd time if I have left it switched on an restarted the PC, my PC gets to the initial post stages and then will not continue. My PC's hard drive is connected to my motherboard by a SATA cable. I fixed the problem on mine by switching the PC off and then disconnecting the SATA cable off of the PC's motherboard and then reconnecting it. After I had done this everything was fine. Hope the info helps you Air_Man.

Air_Man 11:40 02 Jun 2007

Thx FatboySlim71.

The PC is at my parents, so can't check immediately, but from memory, it is set to boot from "Hard Drive" (no named drive), then CD, then Removable.

The PC has two internal IDE HDDs, both on IDE1, and with Windows on the larger, Master drive.

The MyBook is connected via USB.

Does this shed any light on it for you?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 02 Jun 2007

In BIOS disable removable boot device option.

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

In diskmanagement reformat the external drive.

Air_Man 21:26 02 Jun 2007

Thx Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'll give it a go.

FatboySlim71 23:33 02 Jun 2007

The hard drives you mention Air_Man are a different type to what I have, so I can't really be of anymore help. I just thought I would mention about what I had done on my PC to cure the problem just in case you had the same SATA drives. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Air_Man 09:45 03 Jun 2007

Thx anyway FatboySlim71 - appreciate it. I'll give Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?