WD My Book 1Tb software freezing PC + advice

bradwell boy 18:24 13 Apr 2010

I was brought a 1Tb My Book and thought it would b great for backing up pics/downloads etc from all PC's in the house. So far have only used on my PC.

I have now uninstalled the software twice as it seems to use up all the CPU time even when I haven't got it connected. Obviously the software is running in the background. Is there a way I can have the software on the PC and not have this problem.

Finally. I thought I would just be able to drag and drop stuff to the drive. The software just scans everything on either my C or D drive and looks at saving everything. I can say just to copy pics or music etc. Can I pick particular item. If I connect to another PC it would copy that drive, not use it as a merger of all that needs saving from all our PC's. Any advice. Can the WD be used without it's software. When I plugged it in it self installed.

howard64 18:55 13 Apr 2010

I have a wd my book and took the software off when it behaved like you say. Do not let the software run. Just use it as another drive - make folders on it and simply drag and drop or copy and paste whatever files you want from any pc to the drive.

bradwell boy 19:47 13 Apr 2010

Howard64, do you just not let it install the software when it tries each time I plug it in, or do you take it off the WD?
I have just plugged in the WD and refused to install software. Then looked at what was on it on My Computer. There is a notepad doc there saying "this is being used as auto backup, do not delete or may cause irreparable damage". Is that just a warning to people who do not know what they may be deleting?

howard64 17:36 14 Apr 2010

not sure about deleting but disk is so big what is on there is tiny. If it tries to install I just cancel.

Miké 18:21 14 Apr 2010

I have two of these just remove the software, keep a copy of it in case it's needed in the future.

There are plenty of free ways of automatically backing up your files, if you want to go that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache