WD external hard drive problem

novis 22:40 08 Oct 2009

I have a WD portable 250 GB exetrnal hard drive that is not being recognised by my Toshiba laptop running Vista. to get past the firewall to instal drivers.

I cant find drivers on the WD site.

I've also disabled the notification popup for this device so the result is a repetitive error tone until I disconnect it.

Any suggestions?

A link to download drivers for Vista [if this is the problerm] would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:02 08 Oct 2009

You should not require drivers

When you plug in an external drive via USB Vista should already have the drivers for a USB / IDE / sata interface and recognise the device as a mass storage device.

novis 23:10 08 Oct 2009

Indeed - it SHOULD - however the problem I described occurs. Drivers is a possible solution. The WD website suggests it may be a problem with USB drivers but Belarc suggest they are current.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:17 08 Oct 2009

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

novis 23:51 08 Oct 2009

Sounds like a good plan - except I am sceptical that the problem is with the USB connection s it recognises other devices and the error message tells me the device is not recognised.

How do I go about re-establishing the pop-up window that gives me the options proceed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 09 Oct 2009

Do a refresh a corrupt driver entry in the registry is probably causing it not to be recognised, I've seen this many times before.

novis 20:11 11 Oct 2009

Great!

And how do I do a "refresh a corrupt driver entry in the registry ... "

rdave13 20:26 11 Oct 2009

Have you tried connecting the drive to before booting up the laptop?

novis 20:32 11 Oct 2009

Yes - at fist there was the error noises - now ithe power light goes on but it is silent and doesn't recognise the drive at all.

rdave13 20:40 11 Oct 2009

Does the drive work on another PC?

novis 20:55 11 Oct 2009

I'm not receiving an error message on installation that the device has malfunctioned and is not reconsigned. It recommends disconnecting and reinstaling - but no luck when I re-attach it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?