wd drive not recognised

Dalglish2 20:15 07 Feb 2010

hi
my Western Digital 500 gb has stopped being recognised by my xp home desktop which asks for cd rom driver data to be loaded.
The portable drive is not supplied with driver software and relies on thw xp drivers built in to the OS. What can be wrong?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 07 Feb 2010

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 22:02 07 Feb 2010

right click on my computer, choose manage\disc management can the drive be seen? sounds like you removed the drive without using safe remove near clock

Dalglish2 16:52 13 Feb 2010

Hi Fruit bat,
have tried the USB cleaner but no luck and Im unsure how to uninstall USB - is it the Univeral Serial Bus Controllers? It sounds quite drastic and bit anxious.
Can't see any reference to USB anywhere else in Device Manager apart from this USB controller.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 13 Feb 2010

EVERYTHING under the heading USB but make sure you do keyboard last if you have USB keyboard.

Dalglish2 15:30 14 Feb 2010

having to post this on my iphone because having uninstalled usb controllers as sugeested fruit bat, the reboot will not allow usb mouse or keyboard to functio. Now? Havent disabled pc and my anxiety now is reality ! I did a system restore point but of little use if not able to log on HELP!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 14 Feb 2010

CAn you plug in PS2 keyboard?

Have you got the HID device plugged in when you reboot windows should find new hardware and install the drivers.

rdave13 21:24 14 Feb 2010

Another thing to consider is if the usb keyboard and mouse are wireless then worth using the connecting button on the receiver and keyboard/mouse buttons again.

Dalglish2 22:11 14 Feb 2010

good news ... Have managed to get myself back to square one with pc usable again. The western digial drive does not need drivers so they claim on their site but when the drive is hooked up, my pc tries to look for them to install the new hardware. Puzzling as there appears to be no download support offered by WD andy the diagnostic programme supplied needs the drive to be recognised to do its stuff!

Dalglish2 22:12 14 Feb 2010

good news ... Have managed to get myself back to square one with pc usable again. The western digial drive does not need drivers so they claim on their site but when the drive is hooked up, my pc tries to look for them to install the new hardware. Puzzling as there appears to be no download support offered by WD andy the diagnostic programme supplied needs the drive to be recognised to do its stuff!

rdave13 22:29 14 Feb 2010

Is your OS up to date with SP2 or 3?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017