Ways to make your laptop run faster

Stephen91 14:30 13 Feb 2007

In which ways can you make a laptop run faster without having to buy anything?

D@ve 14:38 13 Feb 2007

1. Scan your computer with anti-spyware and anti-virus programs to clear all the junk out.

2. Minimize the number of programs running at startup. One way of doing this is to go to start, run, msconfig. There is a tab called startup where you can choose what to select.

oldbeefer2 14:55 13 Feb 2007

CCleaner click here also gets rid of a hugh amount of rubbish

skidzy 15:21 13 Feb 2007

" In which ways can you make a laptop run faster without having to buy anything? "

I know you do not wish to splash the cash,but.... how much ram does the laptop have installed,upgrading this may be another solution.
If you have lets say 256MB of ram and your lappy lets you upgrade to a gig of ram....you will see a big difference in performance.
Normally easy to replace,just lifting a small cover plate on the bottom of the machine.

Jackcoms 16:22 13 Feb 2007

"Scan your computer with anti-spyware and anti-virus programs to clear all the junk out".

Anti-spyware and anti-virus programs don't "clear all the junk out".

They protect against/scan for spyware and PC viruses, as their names suggest.

CCleaner, however, does clear all the junk out.

Ashrich 16:52 13 Feb 2007

If running Windows XP , turn off all the bells and whistles ( and the Fisher Price colours ) for a start , they use valuable resources , if you're not into playing games you could reduce the amount of ram used for graphics if yours is onboard , freeing memory up for the operating system .Right click on task bar and select properties then Start Menu tab , select Classic Start Menu , then open , say , My Documents and click on tools/folder options , select Use classic folders , then , right click on My Computer and select the Advanced Tab click on performance settings and select Adjust for best performance .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?