Ways to bridge gap btw telewest point and PC

  siliconbits 15:38 03 Dec 2003

I have a telewest connection point (phone and BB) in my landlady's room and wires run all over the place to her discontent. Is there a simple way to connect the broadband line to a device that will then wirelessly connect my PC to the broadband world.... Will a broadband wireless router with a PCI card be OK?

  BarryKeith 16:10 03 Dec 2003

To connect the modem to the incoming line you will need to use a co-axil cable of the same type as is used to connect a satellite dish to a receiver as the frequencies used are higher than normal TV channel frequencies. The simples method would be to have the modem as near the connection point as possible then use a wireless link from the output of the modem to your computers NIC card.

  siliconbits 16:32 03 Dec 2003

I am writing to you via the cable modem. So the link is already established. There is a long coaxial (Fibre optic??) cable running in the house. I think I will have to place the modem IN the room of the landlady, connect it to the router and then link everything to a PCI Wireless card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)