Water on laptop

Pats_1984 12:21 31 Mar 2011

My daughter knocked a glass of water onto our laptop. My partner took the battery off and left it dry for a few hours and turned it bak on again. He said it was fine for a hour but then turned itself off. He also told him in that hour he doesn't think it was charging up. We have had issues with the charger anyway. However there is a funny smell by the charging part of the laptop & the charger itself. The rest of the laptop smells fine. Any suggestions to what it could be please?

mgmcc 12:28 31 Mar 2011

If it was clean water spilt on the keyboard, I'd suggest leaving it open and with keyboard facing down in a warm airing cupboard at least overnight.

Pats_1984 12:36 31 Mar 2011

Luckily it was clean water. The same laptop has had coffee spilt on it and it was fine but that was mainly on the mouse pad. Just worried about the smell, will that smell go? Worried it may indicate other problems from the spillage

Pats_1984 12:37 31 Mar 2011

The laptop has already been left overnight but still nothing

northumbria61 11:39 01 Apr 2011

I would follow the advice of mgmcc and give it more time.

I had a mobile phone that once dropped out of my shirt pocket into a basin full of water - the phone appeared to be "dead" - nothing for 3 days then it "came back to life" and every feature working again.

Pats_1984 13:47 01 Apr 2011

I've had that with a mobile as well, just the screen a bit gone. I took it to a computer shop and they tried a different charger but I didn't get them to turn it on. Stupid I know but the light came on at the front so hopefully a new charger will sort it out.

mooly 16:42 01 Apr 2011

Read post #3 here as this is the main issue with spillage,
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone