Water Damaged Laptop and broken switch?

danielgent 11:32 27 Oct 2009

A friend of mine spilt a pint of water over his girlfriend's laptop. I took it to pieces and left it on his floor (on cardboard) for about a week drying out. Put it back together, it turned on and everything worked fine. Then in typical sods law as soon as I got home he gave me a call saying it wouldn't turn on. I took another look at it yesterday, taking the power button thing off (the plastic bit above the keyboard) and checking the cables were attached properly. It turned on the first time, then didn't turn on again.

Its a HP Pavillion DV6000 and the power button connects to the motherboard with the fiddliest tiniest ribbon cable ever seen. I've been told that they could have snapped internally while I was plugging and unplugging them
A replacement ribbon cable and power button

click here
£25

I replaced the ribbon cable with a spare one from an Acer Aspire touchpad (same cable but much shorter). It turned on first time and I turned the laptop off holding the power button down for a few seconds, but then DID NOT WORK AGAIN! I unplugged and reconnected it a few times, again one time it turned on once (and then off) but didn't work again!

I was thinking that what could have happened is, as the water was spilt on the laptop while it was open (and broke several keys on the keyboard) maybe it got into the power switch and broke that. But I think its strange that it turns on once (and the power button works again to turn it off) but then doesn't work again. Could it be a faulty mobo or some sort of thermal switch where it turns on once but then something overheats? Really puzzled here!

Any advice as I'd rather not pay £25 if it doesn't fix it!

Thanks for your help,
Dan Gent

mooly 12:14 27 Oct 2009

IMO you are on a loser with this. Even the 3 volts from the CMOS battery is enough to cause electroylitic corrosion... I have seen and repaired liquid damage countless times... and unless properly sorted immediately (if it's even possible to do so) then the end result at best is random faults and general unreliability. One raindrop sized blob would be enough to totally wreck the print around a surface mounted component let alone a pint :)

lofty29 12:20 27 Oct 2009

Why not see if it can be claimed for against home insurance, most policies cover accidentle damage.

canarieslover 12:20 27 Oct 2009

I'm with mooly on this. Chances of ever getting it to work properly again are very slim. Have a look at the household insurance and see if that covers accidental damage. It might at least put some money towards buying a replacement.

danielgent 14:55 27 Oct 2009

I don't think they've got insurance on their house. I'll ask them. Think its not worth bothering with it anymore and just writing it off then? Can always salvage it for parts I suppose...

amonra 14:59 27 Oct 2009

Put it on EBay "Sale or Repair", someone may want some parts?

woodchip 15:35 27 Oct 2009

Try some gentle heat with a Air Drier Round CPU and Hard drive plus Keyboard

danielgent 16:01 27 Oct 2009

good advice woodchip. I've nothing else left to try now ;^)
I did leave the computer in pieces for about a week to dry, but that was without taking the CPU out! (maybe I should've done that).

woodchip 18:27 27 Oct 2009

If you take the CPU out make sure you use some new conductive heat paste before refitting the fan on it

woodchip 18:28 27 Oct 2009

Water may still be in the keyboard as even a week may not dry it out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?