Watching Telewest cable TV on PC

Chris25 19:18 27 May 2005

Hello all.

I'm interested in finding a way to watch my Telewest TV service on my PC in another room (I spend a lot of time at the PC for work reasons). I believe that plugging the RF (aerial) output from my cable decoder box into my TV-Card then tuning my TV-Card into the channel output by the cable decoder box is a iable option.

Another might be to use one of the wireless transmitters intended for sending signals to other TV sets in the house (Argos do one called a Digisender). I've been told that the receiver section called be plugged into a TV card (even though this would require a SCART socket).

Does anybody have any experience of connecting their Telewest box to their PC or can anyone offer a better solution to this problem?

Cheers.

Vague Boy 20:03 27 May 2005

Bump.

Graham ® 22:50 27 May 2005

Your first suggestion will definitely work. I would stick to that.

Vague Boy 13:07 28 May 2005

Bump.

Joe R 13:14 28 May 2005

Vague Boy,

your first suggestion should work, but only if it is a digital tv card.

Chris25 13:40 28 May 2005

Thanks for the advice Graham ® and Joe R

At the moment I'm tempted to get a Nebula DigiTV card (or the USB external version) as these have recieved some very good reviews.

click here

According to their FAQ, I would probably need an RF to composite cable (I think these exist) to connect to this particular card:

"Can I connect DigiTV to my satellite dish or cable?

At the moment, you can only connect DigiTV to an external TV antenna to receive Digitial Terrestrial signals. However, if you have a current satellite or cable decoder with a composite video output, you can connect this to the video input on the DigiTV PCI card to watch the decoded signal on your PC."

I shall check with them before buying though.

Joe R 13:45 28 May 2005
  Chris25 14:29 28 May 2005

Thanks Joe R, two good links there.

My confidence in being able to achieve this is much higher.

Graham ® 14:35 28 May 2005

The output of the cable decoder box is RF. A digital card is not necessary, even though it has video in.

Fellsider 14:58 28 May 2005

I have my Telewest box connected to the PC by RF lead - no problems.

BUT if you are going to record from the cable box the RF output of my box is only mono!

Chris25 15:06 28 May 2005

Thanks Fellsider. Mono won't be too much of a problem, my main concern was that I spend so much time working on my PC that I feel I'm not getting the benefit of the TV serice I'm paying for. Hopefully that will change soon.

I shall mark this thread as resolved. Thanks to all who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017