Watch pictures from pc on tv

tonyx1302 09:22 12 Sep 2008

I have downloaded pictures from my camera to a folder in my docs on my laptop and would like to view them on our tv. Is it easy to do this and if so how please? I am not technically minded so simple instructions would be very helpful.

I have a Acer laptop with XP and SP2.

Many thanks in anticipation
Tony

crosstrainer 09:31 12 Sep 2008

If your laptop has a VGA (monitor) output on the rear (make and model will help us here) AND, your TV has a VGA Input, then you can connect a cable from the lappy to the televsion.

Before buying such a cable, check that your laptop and TV have the required connections.

Cables:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:33 12 Sep 2008

How you connect the laptop to the TV will depend on what type of ports are available on both the TV and the Acer laptop.

Most TVs will have a minimum of scart and RCA (AV) inputs.

Your laptop will have at least a VGA output and speaker output and maybe a S Video output.

tonyx1302 09:44 12 Sep 2008

I'm confused.com already!!! Sorry I don't know if my laptop has a VGA or not but I have checked the back of my tv and there is a conglomerate of empty push in connections and one unused scart connection avail.
My tv is a Sony KZ-32TS1E and my laptop is an Acer Aspire 3633WLMi
Thanks for coming back

Tony

tonyx1302 09:57 12 Sep 2008

Sorry to appear so stupid but I have just Googled VGA and I have a VGA plug on my laptop but not that I can see, on my tv.
Can I get a cable that goes from the VGA on my pc to the scart connection on the tv. Would that work?

Tony

crosstrainer 10:02 12 Sep 2008

Your laptop has a VGA connector: (see list below)

Interfaces:

3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11
1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x audio - line-out/headphones - mini-phone 3.5mm
1 x audio - line-in/microphone - mini-phone 3.5mm, 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11
1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x audio - line-in/microphone - mini-phone 3.5mm
1 x audio - line-out/headphones - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x audio - line-In - mini-phone 3.5mm

Your TV has only S-Video, so you will need a cable which has a VGA connection on on end (laptop), and S-video on the other (TV)

crosstrainer 10:03 12 Sep 2008

Sorry, forgot the link:

click here

tonyx1302 10:26 12 Sep 2008

Hi crosstrainer and many thanks for your expertise and help. I have looked at the lead you suggest but cannot see where the yellow end of the cable would connect behind the tv. I can see where the black end goes but where do I fit the yellow end ? I have a yellow push on plug next to the avail black one, but that has my hearing aids loop system attached. Do I just temporary unplug that and use it. Also can you get a longer length cable as per your suggestion, or an extension as it one shown doesn't seems very shortThanks once again

Tony

crosstrainer 10:36 12 Sep 2008

If you only want to view the pictures, then you don't need to unplug your induction loop. The yellow cable is for the sound, the black carries the Video signals. You could just unplug as you suggest, but to simply view the S-Video part of it is what you need.

crosstrainer 10:38 12 Sep 2008

You could also use the 3.5mm jack on your laptop to plug into a spare "Audio In" socket on the rear or side of your tv.

More modern Set's have a VGA and digital input designed specifically for PCs and Laptops.

tonyx1302 10:46 12 Sep 2008

Thank you very much for all your help crosstrainer. You have explained it brilliantly and simply as requested so I will hot foot it down to Dixons this afternoon to get the cable.

Thanks again.

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?