Warning for McAfee users

birdface 09:28 22 Apr 2010

Looks like McAfee has crashed a lot of computers with one of their last updates.
So maybe check before you update and delete as it was a false positive.

click here

Steve Mat 10:01 22 Apr 2010

Just rebooted after latest AVG update and my Vista64 pc won't restart!

birdface 11:14 22 Apr 2010

Start in safe mode then reboot.

sopwith 11:15 22 Apr 2010

just downloaded latest updates.
have mcafee changed changed the appearance of security setting screen.
i ask this as i got a back door trojan yesterday(now cleared)

birdface 11:20 22 Apr 2010

Maybe update and run the free version of Malwarebytes just to be in the safe side,
Although it was a false positive yesterday your problem may have been genuine,but at least you are working.

birdface 11:21 22 Apr 2010

Oops sorry it was you that posted the fix.

BT 07:49 23 Apr 2010

Yesterday morning I had a problem in that the PC was booting up to my desktop then I was getting a message box saying something like.

"Shutting down initiated by NT/Aministrator,
DCOM not initialised"

It went into a continuous restart loop, with the XP theme changed to Classic view, IE and Google Chrome wouldn't load. Malwarebytes wouldn't load. Ended up having to do a recovery.

Pop up from McAfee this morning saying to do an upgrade "to avoid your computer being affected by the problem yesterday". Horses and stable doors come to mind!!

rednirt 07:54 23 Apr 2010

mine crashed yesterday i still can not get it to work,i tried what they advise everyone to do but no joy tried hundreds of times done my head in,going to phone them today for some advice and hopefully not lose my patients with them if i can find the correct telephone number.Not very happy with mcafee hope they give there customers some sort of compensation this is ridiclous.

dfh 14:38 23 Apr 2010

Likewise, I ended up doing a factory restore losing photos in the process.

Now looking for a replacement, as I feel they cant be trusted.

compumac 12:05 10 May 2010

Do not know if there is any connection with this thread but I have been considering using McAfee and went to their website where there is a free virus scan. I tried the scan but a dialogue box came up to advise that my browser was incompatible with McAfee. My browser is IE8. i also tried the same scenario on another PC also with IE8, both running XP SP3 - with the same result - incompatible!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?