Wanting to sell Desktop - Price estimation

CJHorn85 10:42 18 Feb 2010

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post on for an issue like this, but it's certainly been one of the most helpful for me.

I am looking to sell my desktop which I built towards the end of 2007. It was a fairy good machine at the time, and can still play the latest games at top graphics. I have recently bought myself a Rock laptop which is of a far greater spec, and I would like to sell my desktop. The desktop cost around £1000 without the monitor at the time, but I'm wanting to know how much I would get for it now. I don't want to rip anyone off, or lose out on anything, so advice is appreciated. Specs are as follows:

Intel Duo 2 Core E6850 3Ghz Processor
Asus P5K Motherboard
4Gb XMS DDR2-800 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb Graphics Card
Soprano Case
500Gb SATA II Hard Drive
DVD Rewritable drive
Logitech wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo

I wasn't going to sell the monitor, as I would like to keep it to connect to the laptop, however I may choose to sell. It is a Samsung SM225BW 22" TFT.

The spec is a little old I admit, but it's still a good machine, and something someone could get at a good price. Advice is appreciated!

Cheers

PS. I am not trying to sell this over here, as I realise this isn't the place to do so!

Technotiger 10:45 18 Feb 2010

Though in reality it is probably worth rather more, I doubt if you would get £250 for it without the monitor - maybe £300 with the monitor. But that is just my guess!

Technotiger 10:52 18 Feb 2010

PS - meant to say "doubt if you would get *more than* £250 for it ..."

Input Overload 10:54 18 Feb 2010

what would you pay for it in the light of heavy discounting by DELL etc?

CJHorn85 11:25 18 Feb 2010

I understand your point, and yeah, you can get a fairly good Dell these days for an alright price. That's why I'm trying to say I don't want to rip anyone off.

However, you can get a heavily discounted Dell with new, more up to date components, but I don't feel the components are still of the same standard that I have in my machine. This is a personal opinion, and whilst I may be wrong, I am selling a reliable machine....

Don't worry, I'm not taking your comments personally. I used to love Dell, but then I realised I could build my own computer!

Input Overload 11:42 18 Feb 2010

I used to self build, i just can't be bothered now. I agree about the parts quality, I think you should get £200 or so.

It's amazing what people on Ebay will pay for things. I've sold several items second hand for more than they could have got them for new. Best of luck with it anyway :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017