Wanting to connect second PC upstairs to NETGEAR

jacobjohn7 16:07 30 Jul 2009

HI, am trying to connect my sons PC (e-machine) to the internet, via hopefully my NETGEAR wireless downstairs... any help/methods of doing so cheapest appreciated.. many thanks
John

tullie 16:33 30 Jul 2009

Has it got a wireless card installed?

jacobjohn7 18:02 30 Jul 2009

erm... dont think so, its an e-machine 270 and its a standard set up.. only thing on list that looks that way is: Realtek LAN contoller.. but im just guessing now. Assuming it doesnt have wireless card installed, would i have to install a card? or is there something i can stick in a USB...?

T0SH 22:29 31 Jul 2009

It may be easier to invest in two ethernet over mains adaptors plug one in upstairs and connect it with an ethernet cable to your sons PC the other plugs in near you router and again connect with an ethernet cable to a free port on your router that way none of the problems you can get with a wireless connection

cheers HC

birdface 12:42 04 Aug 2009

Wireless USB Dongle should do the trick.

jacobjohn7 21:33 06 Aug 2009

thanks guys,
the dongle sounds easiest, but what is the process...? buy.. connect... online? that easy?
or is there more to it?
cheers
John

birdface 20:10 07 Aug 2009

never connected one but bought one for my grandaughter as she was having trouble with her Laptop wireless connection but so far have not fitted it as her father has the laptop at the moment.
i was told that you get a disc with it .[my one did.] And it was a matter of running the disc to download the drivers and then use it.Sounds easy i hope so.
Argos bargain warehouse was selling them for £10 on special a special offer.

KremmenUK 13:05 12 Aug 2009

Just a quick warning. I had 2 Netgear wireless dongles in fairly quick succession that both failed due to overheating.

I then bought a Belkin N standard wireless dongle and it's been superb.

Use channel 6 to communicate if your Netgear router is G+ as this allows a faster connection.

jacobjohn7 22:06 01 Sep 2009

i have offered by someone a speedtouch usb modem, that fits in the PCI slot on motherboard, will this be OK for my computer? and achieve the same as a USB dongle? cheers john

Jollyjohn 09:27 02 Sep 2009

no - the speedtouch is a modem it connects your pc to a phone line.

SimpleSimon1 09:52 02 Sep 2009

Yep, use Powerline connectors. See my post click here

As long as your netgear modem has a router built-in (and 95% of home broadband is actually a modem/router combo), you can set the whole lot up in something under 2 mins. You'll need two of them and price for a starter kit pair is normally £40-£70 depending on make and speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?