Wanted~Free Software to download YouTube vids

Graphicool1 16:52 13 Mar 2011

WinXP SP3

Hi anyone know of some free software that I can use to download YouTube vids. Without having to have a toolbar?

I've been using 'RealPlayer', when I mouse over the video's, a RealPlayer tab pops up and I click it to download the vid I want. It couldn't be easier.

Why do I want something else then?...
Over the last couple of weeks, when I use RealPlayer, my PC has been under attack, from an outsider. So far my security has kept it at bay. But I don't really want to push my luck further than I have to.

The unwanted hanger on in question, appears in the 'Event Viewer' under 'System' a white cross on a red dot... Error: SideBySide

According to 'Fruit Bat /\0/\' it is adware.

MAJ 17:16 13 Mar 2011

Use the Download Helper addon in Firefox. click here

Batch 17:33 13 Mar 2011

Have to say that I just copy them out of IE's Temporary Internet files and use FLVplayer to play them.

RGB76 17:49 13 Mar 2011

This is the one that I use and it is very reliable
and updated regularly.
It will convert the files and also give you an mp3 of the video music.

RGB76 17:51 13 Mar 2011

oops forgot the main bit click here

Graphicool1 18:09 13 Mar 2011

I downloaded and installed the helper from your link. Then attempted a download from YouTube. Not only was it using Real Player, but when I looked in the Event Viewer there were 24 instances of 'SideByside' on after the other!

Graphicool1 18:20 13 Mar 2011

I'm going to give your's a go next, I notice it says it will use WMV. That's progress. I know I could always uninstall RealPlayer to stop the downloader using it. But I don't want to risk losing the videos that I've already dowloaded with Real and are in its library.

Graphicool1 18:21 13 Mar 2011

I didn't know that was a possibility, I think I'll give that a go next, before trying RGB76's suggestion.

MAJ 18:32 13 Mar 2011

No I'm not getting that. I haven't had RealPlayer installed in over 87 years though and even back then I used Real Alternative instead. Exacly where in Event Viewer did you see all the instances of 'SideByside'? I would blame something else other than the DownloadHelper addon.

Im a diddy 18:40 13 Mar 2011

atube catcher
click here

AroundAgain 21:11 13 Mar 2011

"I haven't had RealPlayer installed in over 87 years "

I didn't think computers were available, with RealPlayer, 87 yrs ago!

Is this a typo???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?