Want to reinstall Office without loss of mail

TopCat® 21:50 22 Sep 2015
Answered

I have MS Office 2007 which now has some problems. I can do a successful repair of files from the DVD but it fails to complete when repairing from Add/Remove programs. I believe there is some file corruption now which is causing these problems

I want to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 2007 from the DVD without losing any of my emails. Is there a fool-proof way of doing this please? Thanks for your help on this. TC.

TopCat® 21:56 22 Sep 2015

Should have added that I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit. TC.

wee eddie 00:06 23 Sep 2015

I assume that you're referring to email kept on Outlook that is part of MS Office.

You need to save a copy of the .pst file. You can then import it into your new Copy of Outlook

TopCat® 10:37 23 Sep 2015

Thanks for the help, wee eddie. I was under the impression that it was much more complicated than that. I'll report back here to say how I got on. TC.

wee eddie 11:03 23 Sep 2015

The .pst File contains all Outlook's stored Mail, Contacts and Diary. It's worth a few minutes reading up on.

I have Outlook set to back itself up about once a day, it's easy to set up. If you decide to do this. When you set it up, make sure that Backups are stored somewhere that's easy to find, like the MyDocs Folder

TopCat® 12:48 23 Sep 2015
Answer

I did the uninstall/reinstall of Office 2007 and was surprised and pleased to find that all my Outlook messages were intact. I ran the scan.pst repair option where it found some problems and fixed all. Then tried the repair Office files via Add/Remove Programs and that completed as well! The computer itself loads Windows much quicker now!! :))

I have set a backup of Outlook to run twice a week.

Cheers and thanks again, wee eddie

Forum Editor 14:26 23 Sep 2015

It's always a pleasant surprise when something you thought would be a complex process turns out to be much easier.....once someone offers a solution.

"I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit."

It might be worth considering the free upgrade to Windows 10, whilst the free download window is still open.

TopCat® 18:14 23 Sep 2015

I have the Win 10 free offer on my taskbar but feel somewhat nervous about trying it out! I'm still coming to terms with Win 7 Pro but still learning more every day. My main problem is memorising everything, FE
Then again, the Pro version of Windows 10 will retail around $199 so I would be a fool to turn it down, especially as I'll be able to revert back to Win 7. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017