want install a second had drive but....

skell 19:24 05 Aug 2006

Hi, hope you can help or any advise would be appreciated....

I have a new 80gig hard drive which i would like to instal as an additional drive but not as my boot up drive. i want to keep my 120gig drive as the boot up drive with my games, pics and music on it and have the 80gig drive as a slave... what will i have to do.. DO i have to install windows to it or do i just format it and create partion and make it active ? Im not quite clear as to whether i need windows on both drives..ive looked at forums etc but they all go on about setting up a new drive as master. i want to install this new 80gig drive and want to know exactly whats involved to have it work along side my old drive. ive installed many single drive but never multi drives.

thx.

SANTOS7 19:36 05 Aug 2006

click here
couple of things to do make sure all cables are secure and you have set the jumper as per manufacturers instructions to set the extra drive to SLAVE,good luck...

skell 19:49 05 Aug 2006

SANTOS7.... thx for that but once thats done i guess i have to format create, partion and install windows? do i have to install windows even tho windows is on the master drive. probably a dumb question but i just seem to figger it out.. i guess i do , yeah?

SANTOS7 19:56 05 Aug 2006

No need to install O/S on other drive, or create any partitions, you can store files/progs by selecting the drive letter that is allocated to it.
sensible thing to do with it is to use it to backup or put what files/docs you want to keep safe on it..

wolfie3000 20:00 05 Aug 2006

SANTOS7 is right just plug it in and set the jumpers to slave no operating system or partition required windows will do all thats neccersary then use it to store what you want on it i use mine for a backup,

If once its installed just click on my computer and a new drive letter should appear usually E: of F: just click on it and bung on what you want.

wolfie3000 20:04 05 Aug 2006

This is what it should look like once its installed.

click here

skell 20:20 05 Aug 2006

exellent..thx guys. simple question simple answers on this forum. all these other web sites and forums tell you all the technical stuff - coz there clever i guess - but all i wanted is what i was to expect fromm installing a new drive and what i need to do to get it to work.

thx again...:)

SANTOS7 20:20 05 Aug 2006

If it is a maxtor drive to make it a slave you need to remove the jumper (bridging block)..

skell 20:23 05 Aug 2006

samsung..slave. maxtor is my original 129gig drive im keeping as master.. that hsould be ok , yeah?

SANTOS7 20:26 05 Aug 2006

Yea, small diagram on end of drive will show you where to put jumper then,good luck...

skell 20:32 05 Aug 2006

cheers ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?