Want an independant 2nd display

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 11:23 21 Dec 2009

I have a LCD TV with a HDMI and PC D-sub 15P interfaces. I want to connect either interface to a PC which needs an additional interface card as the on board one connects to the usual display. I want to control both screens separately the TV basically used to show internet pages and the main PC screen for applications as normal. Can you tell me which of your products will achieve this?

Woolwell 11:35 21 Dec 2009

If you can connect the TV and the PC monitor at the same time then you want to go into your graphics options and select extended desktop which should then give you the capability that your require ie internet on one and other applications on the other. I would choose the TV as the secondary display.

GaT7 11:48 21 Dec 2009

As you have only onboard graphics, you'll require a dedicated graphics card (GPU) as well. Any simple one with at least 2 outputs will do.

here are a few examples for under £25 with VGA, DVI & HDMI ports for greater flexibility click here, click here, click here & click here (note that the latter has a larger-than-normal cooler that will occupy at least one adjacent slot).

Some of the newer motherboards (with certain chipsets) that have 2x onboard graphics ports can also support dual monitors without the need of a dedicated GPU. G

GaT7 11:51 21 Dec 2009

Oops, sorry I didn't ask what kind of interface you need - AGP / PCI / PCI-E, but no problem if it's PCI-E. G

Thanks, I've taken in all your suggestions. My further investigations have revealed that the display is split into two so that the 2nd display (extended) actully appears "off" the side of the screen. Is this right and does this enable one to have a static 2nd display whilst still work on applications on the main display?

Woolwell 14:06 21 Dec 2009

Not sure what you mean by "off" the side. The screens will appear as 2 displays side by side with the ability to move the mouse pointer between the 2.
It in effect gives you a much larger display allowing 2 or more applications to be viewed together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?