Want to extend system ram?

qazhar19 07:47 28 Jul 2014

Hello.. I have a H81M-E motherboard on a Asus desktop.. & I have a 4GB RAM, and thinking of adding another 8GB ram to it.. ? I just wanted to ask I this can work? If you can extend? Or you have to a specific RAM? Thanks.

Jollyjohn 08:03 28 Jul 2014

Go to crucial.com and run the system scanner. It will tell you what is possible.

alanrwood 08:11 28 Jul 2014

What operating system are you using, is it a 32 bit or 64 bit one. Is the 4GB a single stick or 2 x 2GB sticks

Ian in Northampton 09:18 28 Jul 2014

For clarification: alanrwood's point is that if you're using a 32-bit operating system, it will only be able to use ~3.5GB of RAM. Only a 64-bit operating system will use more than that.

Secret-Squirrel 09:36 28 Jul 2014

qazhar19, your motherboard has two memory slots and it can support up to 16GB of RAM. Having said that, have you done any tests which indicate that adding more RAM will improve performance? If you haven't then adding a further 8GB could be a waste of time and money as 4GB is usually more than adequate for the average home user with modest requirements. Post back if you're interested in investigating whether you actually need more memory.

qazhar19 09:55 28 Jul 2014

Hello guys if your were asking the full model of the motherboard it- h81m-e/m51ad/dp_mb . Im basically need this RAM for gaming.. Which will make the performance of my gaming better. My operating system is Windows 8.1 64 bit. And 4GB in one stick x1. Thanks for the support guys, helped me alot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?