Want to delete Vaio progs but not sure to?

buel 21:59 20 Nov 2009

Hi there, sorry to open another thread but this is about the same laptop as a few of my other posts/threads but a different subject (i hope this is ok?) Ok, basically when i look in Revo Uninstaller to see what programmes my friend's laptop (Sony Vaio) has there are TWENTY Vaio programmes, they are:
Vaio Aqua Breeze Wallpaper
Vaio Content importer
vaio control centre
vaio cozy Orange wallpaper
vaio Data Restore tool
Vaio Entertainment Platform
Vaio Event service
Vaio Hardware Diagnostics
Vaio Media 6.0
Vaio Media AC3 Decoder 6.0
Vaio Media Content Collection
Vaio Media Intergrated Server 6.0
Vaio media redistribution 6.0
Vaio Media registration Tool
Vaio Original Screen saver
Vaio photo 2007
Vaio Power Managment
Vaio Tender Green Wallpaper
Vaio Update
Win DVD for Vaio
Now im guessing that the Wallpapers are ok to uninstall but what about the others please?

mooly 08:28 21 Nov 2009

Look in windows defender and "software explorer" and see what runs at start up.
You an safely disable stuff here... it doesn't uninstall or stop it running when needed... and is the "correct" way to do it rather than use msconfig.

However if by chance you have MSE (Microsoft security essentials) installed that actually disables defender (by design) so you would then have to use MSconfig.

Provided programs don't run at start up they shouldn't be a problem in slowing things down.

mooly 08:31 21 Nov 2009

More here,
click here

BurrWalnut 08:48 21 Nov 2009

Reduce the number of programs that start up when you switch on the computer by downloading and installing the free Quick Startup, get it click here

To disable (recommended action) an entry, remove the tick alongside its name. To delete an entry, highlight it and click Delete in the left pane. If you are unsure about an entry and want to know more about it, highlight it and then click ‘More information’ at the bottom of the screen.

anchor 09:23 21 Nov 2009

BurrWalnut: Your link goes to Quick Startup, but downloading seems to fail. Any suggestions?.

rawprawn 09:39 21 Nov 2009

There should be a program called Vaio Recovery Utility or something like that, and in the options you can reinstall any of the programs that Vaio loaded or do a full recovery.(at least there was one on mine)
Vaio Update just updates any Vaio (Sony) updates
Win DVD is a handy DVD Capture program
I think you can get rid of all the Vaio Media programs if you are using something like Media Player or Real Player
I would be careful about the Vaio data restore toll as I am not sure what it is.
By far the best place to find the answers is
click here you need to register
If you follow any of my suggestions make a backup first as Vaio may vary model to model

buel 12:14 21 Nov 2009

Hey thanks for that, i uninstalled the 3 wallpaper items and the 1 screensaver item with no ill effects. Can i ask when you say 'make a back up' do you mean with Acronis?

T0SH 12:35 21 Nov 2009

Would it not make sense to run each of the applications in turn

that way you will see what they do

then you can decide if you want to keep them or not

Cheers HC

rawprawn 12:49 21 Nov 2009

Acronis would be ideal, but what TOSH says makes a lot of sense.Having said that a full Acronis backup can be worth it's weight in gold if you make a mistake no matter what you decide to do.
Also this program Winpatrol click here is an excellent free program to check on start ups and much more. It is very worthwhile to consider th Pro version

buel 20:37 22 Nov 2009

Thanks for the advice, i managed the backup fine...at last!! Much appreciated!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?