Want to copy complete C drive-is there a quick way

Stressed Mum 08:16 02 Apr 2009

I have been dragging/copying/pasting my entire C drive over to another hard drive for back up - it keeps failing as there are many items it tells me are in use etc. I have been running this copy/backup overnight and it is still copying - is there a software (pref freebie) that can help me? I have total of 70GB to backup onto a Hard Drive of 500GB - so there's plenty of room. Thanks for any help. SM

john bunyan 08:27 02 Apr 2009

There are two types of back up - a clone, and an image. The clone is an exact copy, with programmes all in, that is designrd to come in to use if your hard drive fails. An image,is a back up but also a copy of your system and can be made so it is incremental - only the extras since the last back up are added. A normal copy is ok for data such as music, documents etc but will not let you replace system programmes. There may be free software but most people think Acronis True Image (about £30) is well worth buying. I have version 11 but I think there is version 2009 about now. A clon or image shoul ideally be on another drive (USB HD or similar). You could put a normal back up on a new partition on your disc.

hssutton 08:36 02 Apr 2009

Download the trial version of Acronis and clone your "C" drive. I did this last year and was very impressed with the software, so I finished up buying it anyway.

click here

Batch 08:46 02 Apr 2009

Acronis True Image Home 2009 is available on Amazon for £24.99.

For possible freebies, see click here

Stressed Mum 08:54 02 Apr 2009

ok - I'll investigate Acronis. Will I be able to plug my portable hard drive into another pc and work on the pc from the portable hard drive - and also copy over photos music etc in the normal way. Bit dumb when it comes to clones and imaging hard drives? Or maybe I am trying to back up too much? I really don't every want to loose my photos again, and It is very important to my kids that I keep a backup of their iTunes! I also need to keep a copy of all my Documents - so i thought the easiest way was to copy the whole c drive...thinking that would also cover my Outlook files and favorites etc

Stressed Mum 09:08 02 Apr 2009

oh dear - not very good reviews on amazon for this software - registration problems mainly - anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

Graphicool1 09:10 02 Apr 2009
  rawprawn 09:14 02 Apr 2009

Don't worry too much about those reviews, Acronis is the best there is.I have used all versions of Acronis since V7 and It has saved my bacon many times.

rawprawn 09:18 02 Apr 2009

For free 15 day trial click here

Stressed Mum 09:38 02 Apr 2009

thanks rawprawn - I'm downloading it now - may be back later for advice on how to use! actually still copying the long way at the moment - just another 1/2 hour to go!

john bunyan 09:40 02 Apr 2009

Until you sort out the Acronis type imaging for system files, , if I were you, I would simply make a copy of the data folders- eg My Music Backup- then copy the files in the original to the copy - maybe in a new partition or on anoher disc.You have plenty of space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone