WANT TO CONVERT TO NTFS. SOME QUERIES

ripvan 14:20 01 Oct 2006

I am wanting to convert to ntfs from fat 32.Have typed in the commands as instructed convert c: fs:ntfs.It then tells me that the file type is fat32.It is now asking me for the the current volume label for drive c.
What is this and where do I find it?

Mavisk 14:31 01 Oct 2006

The volume label is the name of your c drive,if you rightclick your c drive and click properties, it is
the name at the top,mine is blank.
Try just clicking enter.

ripvan 15:00 01 Oct 2006

thanks mavisk.All I can see is c so I typed this in and it now says that this will slao remove my prevoius operating system backup.Do I want to continue.IS this normal and what effect will it have answering yes

SANTOS7 15:09 01 Oct 2006

convert c: /fs:ntfs The comand should look like this and not what you have posted..

VoG II 16:25 01 Oct 2006

Presumably you used an upgrade disk to install XP. This would have made a backup of your previous Windows. As that will not function on an NTFS volume there is no point keeping it.

See click here

ripvan 17:16 01 Oct 2006

Thanks VoG.Have now converted it.Pc is now quicker and I now have 7 gig more free disk space.Where has all this come? would removing the old backup files have done this?
many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 01 Oct 2006

Removing old back up will save space plus NTFS is better at using space on the drive anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?