Want to check if my graphics card died

hollox111 11:31 06 Apr 2015

A few days ago, I was playing Guild Wars 2 and all of a sudden, my laptop screen froze. I tried to Ctrl Alt Del, spam my keys and whatsoever but nothing happens. Waited for about 10mins and decided to force shut down it. I have played this game for more than 2 years but this is the first time I encountered this problem. When I switched on the computer, my nvidia graphics card showed error 43 in device manager and I realise that my laptop seem to run slower. Reinstalled drivers but nothing happened. So I decided to toy around with the graphics card. I plugged it out and replaced the thermal paste and plugged it back in and it worked. However, after playing Guild Wars 2 for another 1 hour or so, the same thing happened. I tried doing the same thing as before but to no avail. Since the computer ran slower as compared to usual, I decided that I might as well do a system restore. Everything went well but the moment I opened Guild Wars 2, even before i could log in, the computer froze. Tried the same thing but to no avail and so i decided to do another system restore but error 43 still persists and noticable drop in laptop performance. While I suspect that the nvidia graphics card may be dead, is there a possibility that some other parts are responsible for this issue and what are the they as my guts are telling me that a dead graphics card should probably not be cause performance issues (pardon me if this is wrong as I am a computer noob :)).

Specs are as follow:

Alienware m17x R3

Intel Core i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz

8.00 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit

hollox111 11:33 06 Apr 2015

Forgot to mention that the nvidia graphics card is GTX 560M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?