Want to check e-mail but not download

Covergirl 12:20 09 Apr 2008

I remember ages (years) ago I tried a program which allows you to check what's waiting in your inbox and (possibly) delete those you don't want to receive.

Anybody got any ideas as to what the program is called please ?

Reason is, I have an old IC24 (now Madasafish) email account which is now obsolete due to Tiscali Broadband. I can't access it through Tiscali BB as it's one of these which requires authentication through their dialup account.

IMAP won't work for the same reason.

I think I might be able to access it through their Webmail but I need to register or get a password hint (or something) online which they will e-mail me to me at the IC24 email address. Whether this solution to access their Webmail will work or not I'm not sure.

I can access the email account through dial up but I'm stuck at an impasse viz:

If I ask for a password hint, I have to pick it up by going through dialup and I know my brother in law sent me 4MB of photos by mistake to the IC24 account, so would have to download all those and whatever other rubbish I have waiting before it would receive the password hint, and there's one hour grace.

Is this clear ? Any further q's I'm online until 1pm thereafter it will be after 7pm

DieSse 12:37 09 Apr 2008

Mailwasher may be the one.

click here

bremner 12:38 09 Apr 2008

Mailwasher click here

Michael_R 12:40 09 Apr 2008

you might like to try this program. It can be downloaded from PCAvisor here click here

polymath 12:51 09 Apr 2008

Could that webmail facility you remember be the mail2web.com website? (just starting www.)
It's independant of one's ISP(s), and I prefer it to the ones provided by my ISPs; it's faster, cleaner & more efficiant generally (very noticably so with dialup!).
It's free, and no registration's needed; each time you go there (including the first time), you just enter your email address, and the password you use for whatever ISP you're using at the time; the one for the incoming (POP3) server (not the outgoing (SMTP) one).
I sometimes use webmail at home too, eg during an email problem, or to check whether a large one trying to download is wanted, or just spam!

polymath 12:54 09 Apr 2008

Could that webmail facility you remember be click here?
It's independant of one's ISP(s), and I prefer it to the ones provided by my ISPs; it's faster, cleaner & more efficiant generally (very noticably so with dialup!).
No registration's needed; each time you go there (including the first time), you just enter your email address, and the password you use for whatever ISP you're using at the time; the one for the incoming (POP3) server (not the outgoing (SMTP) one). The advertising I guess it's funded by doesn't get in the way.
I sometimes use webmail at home too, eg during an email problem, or to check whether a large one trying to download is wanted, or just spam!

polymath 12:55 09 Apr 2008

Could that webmail facility you remember be click here?
No registration's needed; each time you go there (including the first time), you just enter your email address, and the password you use for whatever ISP you're using at the time; the one for the incoming (POP3) server (not the outgoing (SMTP) one). The advertising I guess it's funded by doesn't get in the way.
I sometimes use webmail at home too, eg during a problem with email, or to check whether a large email trying to download is wanted, or just spam!

Covergirl 12:58 09 Apr 2008

Thanks folks - will try Mailwasher and mail2web when I get home.

Thanks again for the help/hints

polymath 13:03 09 Apr 2008

Sorry about the multiple posts, folks (thought I'd stopped it to edit it!).
I didn't realise the URL would become a 'click here'. It's mail2web I was talking about, (no connection with Mailwasher). There's nothing to install to use it.

Gordon999 13:29 09 Apr 2008

Sorry am I missing something here, apologies if so....but what about viewing your mail via the preview pane.

wee eddie 13:32 09 Apr 2008

Don't even think about it.

Once in the Preview Pane it's already been opened and any Payload it holds, downloaded.

Turn off your preview Pane. That's my advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?