Want to change Broadband Provider

tonyx1302 21:05 11 Feb 2007

I have been with my current provider for approx. 3yrs but now wish to go to a cheaper and hopefully faster company. I currently have a package deal that includes phone calls and up to 2mb B/B and have been pleased with the service they provide. My B.T exchange tells me that I have been able to receive up to 8mb from Jan 1 and as my current provider has a max of 2mb I thought I would shop around and have found 4 that can do the same package with up to 8mb.
My questions are.... I have one email address with Hotmail so will I be able to carry on using it.... secondly....Can I use my current Dlink Wireless108GMIMO ASDL2/2+ Router or do I have to use the Router supplied by a new provider.
Any help would be very appreciated

Tony

tullie 21:14 11 Feb 2007

As far as Hotmail is concerned,the answer is yes,you can use hotmail wherever you are and on any pc

Dipso 21:24 11 Feb 2007

Re: using your own router, I would say it depends on your choice of provider. Most ISP's seem OK with you using your own hardware but Sky have it in their t&c's that you must use the router they supply. I would contact any prospective ISP's about this prior to committing yourself just to be sure.

tonyx1302 21:29 11 Feb 2007

Thanks for coming back.I am currently with OneTel who provided a Speedtouch modem when I joined them but I replaced this with my D Link when I went wireless.I am thinking about a new connection with either Pipex or Tiscali after doing my homework on all avail.

Tony

vitrocmax 21:34 11 Feb 2007

Aren't OneTel now part of the TalkTalk empire?

Talk Talk advertise 'up to 8meg' speeds, but I don't know how they compare with your preferred options.

Press Man 21:39 11 Feb 2007

Have a look here before deciding. click here

tonyx1302 21:45 11 Feb 2007

I think they are part of TalkTalk/ Carphone warehouse empire as you say. I have checked OneTel website and I think the 8meg is only applies to Talktalk etc customers. Onetel don't mention anything about up to 8megs upgrade for their customers. I am ringing them first tomorrow am and checking before moving.

Tony

tonyx1302 21:48 11 Feb 2007

Thanks Press Man. I will study you post before deciding and am taking on other members comment relating to Pipex etc.

Ton

Dipso 21:49 11 Feb 2007

Mmmm...I agree with Press Man, read a few customer reviews for Tiscali and Pipex before you decide.

woodchip 22:07 11 Feb 2007

Also seen a lot of bad post on Tiscali

tonyx1302 22:10 11 Feb 2007

Trouble is after checking with Press Mans helpfull post, there aren't many providers that do the anytime calls and an upto 8megs package as the telephone is greatly used in the home.

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?