Want to buy a new processor.

Lucia 13:55 07 Nov 2008

My old Dell is at the end of it's life and I want to buy a new processor, printer/scanner and monitor.
I know the processor is the thing to spend the money on but every shop I go to seems to sell complete packages and few processors and they all seem to call the features different things.I am lost.

I have been advised to buy an Acer aspire M3641 for £500.

I use my pc for photo's and photoshop mainly, no games or massive document storage, is this machine my best option?

woodchip 14:13 07 Nov 2008

If you upgrade the CPU you will most likely need to upgrade Motherboard this could also mean upgrading other items like graphics and memory

woodchip 14:14 07 Nov 2008

PS may also need new PSU with more power

canarieslover 14:44 07 Nov 2008

Tesco had the Acer complete with 22" monitor for £499 a little while ago but it appears to have now been discontinued. It seems O.K. for what you indicate are your requirements. I notice that Dixons have it for £499 but without any monitor so is effectively about £130 dearer than Tesco were. Tesco have a Dell click here and a Medion click here that are similar basic specs to the Acer so there are quite a few alternatives.

Lucia 15:12 07 Nov 2008

Woodchip.

I rather think I have been calling the whole box of tricks a processor and should not have done so?
I have been reading about processors all afternoon, no wonder I thought they looked bare and got even more lost than normal.

Thank you

Lucia 15:14 07 Nov 2008

Canarieslover.

Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?