want to buy a new harddrive

musichead 13:53 26 Jul 2004

i have a dell demension 2350 pc and i want to add another harddrive,i have a 60 gig hd at the moment and would like to add at least another 40 gig. i am a little confused by all the different makes of drives.i no my harddrive spins at 7200rpm so i am looking to duplicate that with new hd.could some one give me advice on best hd to buy and best value and were from,i am looking to buy on line i have seen some really cheap hd but i do not want to buy anything that will let me down in 6 months time,i mainly store audio and mpeg files on my pc please help thx.

Stuartli 14:13 26 Jul 2004

If you stick to Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor or Fujitsu you won't go far wrong.

The main thing is that HDDs are ridiculously cheap today and the larger the capacity the cheaper it works out per GB.

A 120GB drive can be priced as little as £56 and a 160GB at just £4 more. Even a 200GB version can be acquired for only £80. Six months or so ago these capacities would have been half those figures.

Most of these will be OEM (original equipment manufacturer) offerings, but a WD full retail version for instance would only be around £10 more if you needed the kit.

The 7200rpm figure is the spin speed and, obviously, superior performance to 5,400rpm - also look out for a cache of 8MB rather than 2MB; costs a little more but worth it.

Could be worth using one as your main drive and the 60GB you have now as a second or backup HDD.

Try:

click here click here click here and similar online outlets.

Scan of Bolton's TodayPage often has even better prices on occasion: click here

Stuartli 14:19 26 Jul 2004

Just checked and Scan's TodayOnly page has offers for Maxtor HDDs.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?