Want to boot from disk partition.

Legslip 10:17 05 Apr 2009

I have a Pack Bell Easynote laptop with XP home. It is full of viruses & trojans, and Windows now seems reluctant to boot properly. I think the HD has been partitioned and the E sector has the Win XP files and drivers located in it. Is there anyway I can get the PC to reinstall XP/Drivers from startup?

Jim_F 10:41 05 Apr 2009

are desperate it sounds like system restore is what you want: click here - as this will get you back to the factory settings - most lappy manufacturers offer similar but not all work in exactly the same way.

However - if you don't want to lose any of the programs you have loaded then a virus checker and cleaner for tracking cookies and programs may be a better option. I use Avast! and Spybot respectively - both free to download.

Jim_F 10:48 05 Apr 2009

Somehow the words 'If you' disappeared from the begining of my reply.

If you use the system restore option (you boot from the supplied CD) please remeber to back up any data on the partition you are restoring as this process usually wipes everything.

Legslip 11:09 05 Apr 2009

Thanks Jim. Think I've cracked it. Couldn't boot into Windows normally but went into safe mode and found the restore option there. Seems to be restoring fine now. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?