Want to add extra hard drives

RobCharles1981 21:18 23 Jan 2008

Hi Folks - u know who I am I'm Rob 25 Wales under a new nick name.

Now then I'm going to be getting some more hard drives to accommodate extra storage

click here

2 of the above for my Video Camera vids and my Movies.

And I want an extra drive to store my music on it has about 5gigs of music will be adding more music as I go along, for my music storage what would be the sensible hard drive capacity storage for my music??

Many Thanks
Rob

Joe R 21:28 23 Jan 2008

I have not long ago backed up my collection of albums, (around 400) to an external hard drive. I copied these in Wma format and at 256Kbps.
This has used up approximately 98Gb of hard drive space, so depending on the amount of music you require, this may be a guide.

If you are installing two extra internal drives, it may also be worthwhile having a look at your PSU, and make sure it has the capacity.

RobCharles1981 21:44 23 Jan 2008

PSU has plenty of power as its a 700watt

So I should be looking at either a 160 or 250??

Stuartli 21:53 23 Jan 2008

Hard drives are so cheap these days that you need only a small amount extra to move from, say, a 320GB HDD to 400 or 500GB capacities.

It works out in most cases at about 13 to 15p per GB - it's not all that many years ago since it was around £10 a GB...:-)

woodchip 21:56 23 Jan 2008

You can buy PCI card Controllers that you can plug extra drives into if you have some spare PCI slots. Maplins the place to go click here

RobCharles1981 22:08 23 Jan 2008

Thanks Stuartli I appreciate that, I do have an external hard drive but I use my acronis images to that or unless its something as an emergency prospectus, at the moment I have 2x250 Sata2's the second one for data storage, maybe I can wait another time for the 3rd Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?