Wanadoo SMTP

CliffP 18:19 05 Dec 2005

Hi all

Wife is using WinXP and Outlook 2003. While she can send email via WebMail, she can't send via Outlook 2003. When testing, error message is: "the specified server was found but there was no response - check Port & SSL info is correct". These are set at the default of 110 & 25. She's is connected to the internet via a wireless network card and wireless router.

TIA

powerless 19:27 05 Dec 2005

Delete the account in Outlook and redo it.

CliffP 11:57 06 Dec 2005

that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

TIA

mgmcc 13:24 06 Dec 2005

Silly question, but is Wanadoo the broadband provider that she is actually connecting to the internet with?

CliffP 16:06 06 Dec 2005

I have a BTOpenworld connection set up on the wireless router as our ISP.

CliffP 19:47 06 Dec 2005

Any more suggestions please?

powerless 20:45 06 Dec 2005

That's your problem then, your're connecting through BTO to Wanadoo.

To access Wanadoo through Outlook you'll need your ISP as Wanadoo.

As usually ISP's don't allow what you are wanting to do.

keewaa 21:25 06 Dec 2005

Try putting the BTO outgoing mail server in (mail.btinternet.com or something) but I doubt it will work as some ISPs don't allow it to block spam.

mgmcc 22:59 06 Dec 2005

Normally, you can send mail with any email address in the outgoing messages, provided you use the SMTP server of the ISP that you connect to the internet with.

However, BT (and I'm not aware of any other ISP that does this) also require that outgoing messages have a BT email address or you cannot use their SMTP server. This precludes the use of both other ISPs' email addresses and personal domain addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017