WALLPAPER LOST

shunter 11:41 09 Jul 2006

Hi can anyone give some advice to a PC dullard please. Running Win98SE (I know it old but new pc on the way) had problem with Paintshop Pro6 opening all digital pics as default viewer. Changed it to FujiFinePix viewer (as it's easier to use with the camera it came with)using file options in My Computer, but did not work properly so tried to revert back to PSP6. Now when PC boots up wallpaper appears for a a few seconds than just black background replaces it. Have tried changing the setting on display and selecting another wall paper but still black background. Have also tried refreshing the desktop. Have reinstalled PSP6. Also the "My Computer" icon on the desktop has a little red cross next to it instead of the little shortcut arrow, but that's the only icon with it next to it the others are all ok.
Any thoughts would be gratefully recvd.
Cheers
Stewart

Marsh Warden © ™ 12:34 09 Jul 2006

Have you got "Active Desktop" enabled, if so try disabling it.

shunter 15:09 09 Jul 2006

Hi Marsh Warden,
Thanks for the tip I've disabled the Active Desk top, presume that meant not viewing as a web page? I can at least get one of the default wallpapers to work ok now, I've tried "clouds" for example and it seems ok and likewise the little red cross from My Computer shortcut on the desk top has gone. However how can I get my own wallpaper image to work again, i.e. a photo taken with my digi camera. When I go in and add a jpg picture to the list of wallpapers it says it can only be viewed in Active Desktop?? Anyway round this? Do I have to save the jpg as a particular type of image/file??

Cheers
Stewart

Marsh Warden © ™ 17:27 09 Jul 2006

Open Paint (or some other image programe), open the jpg you want to use, go to file/save as select bmp in the dropdown list and save it to C:\Windows. Go to the desktop properties in the normal way and the file you saved will be available for selection.

shunter 10:10 10 Jul 2006

Hi again Marsh Warden,
Your a star all resolved and working better than before does not take an age to switch back to the wallpaper on the desk top anymore. Thanks for your help and guidance.
Cheers
Stewart

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?