W98SE desktop not responding

phil.s 14:57 11 Apr 2005

Hi,

Can anyone help.
Recently, I have been getting errors with both Internet Explorer and Explorer such as 'IE has encountered a problem and must close' and 'explorer.exe is not responding'.
In the last couple of days, however, things have worsened and the desktop icons will not respond - sometimes the explorer.exe error follows this. I have checked the system with up to date AVG7.0 and ADAWARE/spybot with no problems found. I have also performed scandisk/disk defrag with no improvement.

Incidentally, several months ago explorer.exe was corrupted by a virus and had to be replaced by the correct one from the W98SE CD.

any suggestions gratefully received.

woodchip 15:34 11 Apr 2005

Yes try this put your Win98 cd in comp stop it running. then in run box type SFC press enter and run the program

phil.s 16:37 11 Apr 2005

Thanks woodchip.

I ran SFC, which gave a whole host of files in Windows/System that it said has been changed. A lot of them start with 'VS' which I think are Zonealarm related. Others included Explorer.exe (because I replaced that back in feb) and msvbvm60.dll, condlg.ocx, richtx32.ocx, picclp32.ocx and mscomctl.ocx.

Several others were reported as deleted:-
fastvideoplayer.dll, mseggrpid.dll and vciewer.ocx.

I didn't replace any of these, just clicked ignore. Is it safe to replace these from the W98 CD?

Thanks again,

phil.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 11 Apr 2005

Yes safe to replace from CD

woodchip 22:16 11 Apr 2005

As above yes

phil.s 07:16 12 Apr 2005

I dont want to screw up my PC completely so can I just check before I go ahead:

1. There were no corrupt files; all were either changed or deleted (as described above). Interestingly, I did an SFC in safe mode several months ago but this did not find any of the changed files above.

2. Do I try to replace ALL the files that have been changed? What happens if I try to replace system files (such as the Zonealarm ones) that are not on the W98 CD?

Thanks again,

Phil.

woodchip 10:19 12 Apr 2005

You will have to reload the programs if any missing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?