W98 startup

griffo 13:09 30 Aug 2004

have already posted for help to repair MBR but now can't boot up. When trying safe mode, it's saying " type the name of the command interpreter (eg. C:\windows\command.com") Don't know what this means so typed the eg; that didn't work!

Any ideas please - if I can get it to boot I might be able to use Roxio Goback to, at least get back to the previous (albeit corrupted MBR) situation.

VoG II 14:00 30 Aug 2004
  griffo 18:02 30 Aug 2004

thanks, tried to download this but it's just too big for a floppy (2.44mb). However, I've got a partition problem to try and solve first. I've loaded my Mesh Recovery CD and it says there isn't a primary partition, do you want to install one - say yes - it seems to do it but on reboot it says Invalid Partition Table! completely lost now.

griffo 20:02 30 Aug 2004

Can boot from floppy - have run FDISK, yes to large disk support, option 4. Paritition Info.
Part'n Status Type Vol.lab. Mbytes System Useage
1 non dos 32055 82%
2 pri dos 31808 unknown 81%

This isn't right is it? Shouldn't P1 be pri dos and status Active and system Windows?

Any thoughts/remedies please?

griffo 20:12 30 Aug 2004

sorry that didn't come out right:

Can boot from floppy - have run FDISK, yes to large disk support, option 4. Paritition Info.

Partition 1 - no status - type, non-dos - Mbytes 32055 - no system - useage 82%

Partition 2 - no status - type, pri dos - Mbytes 31808 - system, unknown - useage 81%

This isn't right is it? Shouldn't P1 be pri dos and status Active and system Windows?

Any thoughts/remedies please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017