W7 startup issues

iqs 21:10 27 Jul 2010

Hi
I posted a thread sometime ago regarding W7 hanging on the windows starting screen.

I have just ran a start-up repair,no problems were detected,and also the memory diagnostic test.

Because no faults were detected,I checked event viewer again.
There was an entry in system under windows logs called Wininit.
When highlighted it gave this reason which means nothing to me,I also clicked to send the data over the net,the reply didn't help...

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application .The administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications .

Any ideas please

Thanks

northumbria61 21:25 27 Jul 2010

This explains Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL's)

click here

iqs 21:31 27 Jul 2010

Thanks for the link northumbria61,a little bit of light reading for tomorrow ;-)

Just a thought,I have 36 updates waiting to be installed.Would updating W7 possibly address the issue?.
I'm not a fan of updating OS.

Cheers

birdface 22:01 27 Jul 2010

It used to be linked to Trojans so maybe give Malwarebytes free a run just to make sure it is not a nastie.

click here

iqs 22:08 27 Jul 2010

Hi.
Just running the scans now,cheers

I noticed in the event viewer report XML view the entry
<Data Name="String">BgGamingMonitor.dll</Data>

Any ideas

northumbria61 22:09 27 Jul 2010

"I'm not a fan of updating OS."

Windows includes a free, built-in service called Windows Update. This service helps you keep your PC more secure and reliable as well as compatible with devices. It would be unwise of you NOT to install windows updates.

birdface 22:14 27 Jul 2010

If you ever fix the Wininit problem let me know how as I have had the same warning since W/7 came out.
Its all double dutch to me as well.
Have you tried Task Manager to see what is using up your CPU.Could it be you have to many programs running at start up including your security programs.
Any of those running at start up maybe best changing the time of the scans.
I would run the updates but only the necessary ones.

birdface 22:17 27 Jul 2010

Sorry can't help with event viewer problems can't fix my own.
Its all a bit over the top for me.
But I am sure there is someone out there that can help.

birdface 22:24 27 Jul 2010

Worth a read.
Not sure if it is a problem or not but if so I think Malwarebytes would remove it.

click here

iqs 22:30 27 Jul 2010

Hi,

And thanks for the help and advice.
I will update W7 when all else has failed.I have had bad experiences with updates and XP.

I have checked MSCONFIG,and un-ticked all the programs I don't need at start up,and task manager only lists the normal running processes and services.

If I ever fix the problem buteman ,I will PM you.

Thanks again northumbria61 and buteman

iqs 22:33 27 Jul 2010

Hi buteman,

I have already gone through most of those sites,not much help ,and a bit to technical ,hence the post in this wonderful forum.But thanks anyway buteman,its appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017