W7 Laptop wont boot after being dropped - Help!

buel 19:49 14 Aug 2014

Hi, A friend's laptop wont boot up after he dropped it. It goes as far as the Windows screen but seems to freeze. At start up I have the option of 'Launch Start up Repair' but then I get to the Windows screen when it freezes. It wont boot to safe mode either.

I only have a Windows 7 64 bit disc and Im not sure whether this laptop is 64 bit. Please can I ask what I can do?

buel 19:57 14 Aug 2014

I should add that the majority of the time I am just getting a black screen with the mouse arrow showing.

Ian in Northampton 20:22 14 Aug 2014

I'd guess at what we used to call a 'head crash' in the good old days. It sounds like he may not have broken the drive entirely, but caused part of its surface to become corrupt when the disk head made brief contact with the platter. If the laptop is relatively recent, it's probably 64-bit and you could try with your disk - but I'd guess that the installation may fail if the hard drive now has a fault.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 14 Aug 2014

try a repair using your disk if a genuine disk should work

if not then download a win 7 iso from here and burn to DVD

use that to do a start up repair

make take several times doing the repair before it will boot on its own.

Once booted back up all important documents etc. in case the drive fails.

rdave13 21:56 14 Aug 2014

Could also be that the hard drive's connection is not sound. Try reseating the hard drive.

buel 22:12 14 Aug 2014

Thank you all, Im just trying to read the Windows label to determine whether it is Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional....it is very faded!!

wee eddie 22:19 14 Aug 2014

I was always under the impression that such a Head Crash was terminal. Or as near as not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:23 14 Aug 2014

wee eddie

you are probably right hence my post to back up all the data if it can be got working as its likely to fail prettty quickly afterwars.

Jollyjohn 08:24 15 Aug 2014

I would pop the hard drive out of the laptop and copy / clone it to a another drive before doing anything else, just in case.

Ian in Northampton 09:31 15 Aug 2014

wee eddie: you're right - they usually are. I was just trying to rationalise why the boot process sometimes doesn't work, and sometimes only gets so far.

buel 06:50 16 Aug 2014

Damni it! I have tried using the W7 iso DVD but after seeing the 'Windows is loading files' on the black background, I just get a black screen with the mouse arrow on. I guess I'll have to take the HD out and try to get the data off that way.. :0(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?