This was brought to my attention this morning, but by this evening it's become apparent that this latest virus threat is making too much progress to be ignored.
The virus is known as w32.Beagle. It arrives on your computer as an EXE file attachment. EXE files are NOT to be opened. Yet many do so, and the infection spreads.
* If the subject line of the message is "Hi!" and there is an EXE file attachment, DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. Delete the message instantly.
* If you're using anti-virus software, it should catch this as most anti-virus programs are geared to warn you about EXE file attachments anyway. Even so, do consider updating your anti-virus software with the latest virus definitions to be safe.
* A firewall will NOT stop this virus from infecting your computer.
* Macintosh and Linux computers are not affected.
* Vital links confirming that this is not a hoax and that I'm not wasting your time: