w32/[email protected] virus/worm

Mr Beeline 21:48 05 Nov 2004

I don't know. I run an updated version of Command anti virus, windows XP firewall and regularly run AdawareSE and spybot search and destroy and still the indicated (worm I assume) has managed to get into my system!

A hard drive scan detected it in two files and deleted them (both appeared to be something to do with a program that I downloaded a while back. Called FRAPS. Next day, the dynamic virus detected the same thing in a file in "system volume information" and deleted it. This I think is something to de with the XP restore feature.

Now I wonder...

- How did this get onto my system (IE. past the AV program).

- and is this likely to be the end of it???

I'm not sure that I understand "worms" that well.
IE. Has the AV just deleted files infected by this worm? or has it deleted the source of infection?

It seems that I spend half my time protecting my computer. Soon I wont have any time to actually do anything on it!!!

Comments anyone???

PS. I tried searching on the internet for information about this worm, but could find very little. I have a suspicion that my AV program has maybe only just become able to identify this worm.

stalion 21:54 05 Nov 2004

It seems that I spend half my time protecting my computer. Soon I wont have any time to actually do anything on it!!!

yes I think we all know the feeling,make sure you have a good firewall it is as important as your ant-virus software.It seems nothing will stop everything getting through but help is always on hand here so do not worry.

curlylad 00:50 06 Nov 2004

Just to make sure I would download Stinger from here click here Turn off system restore , run the stinger , then turn system restore back on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?