W2K server Problem

recap 11:23 08 Jul 2004

We have a Windows 2000 server here at work.

This morning when I went to log on to it, it just hung. All i get is a blue screen as if it is waiting to complete a process.

The power button is not responding, there is no activity from the server at all. I have pulled the plug once and went in to Safe Mode, but there is nothing that I can detect to tell me what the problem is.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

AndySD 12:14 08 Jul 2004

Go into Safe Mode and run the virus checker (assuming you have one on the server). Then go into control Panel...Admin Tools and then Event viewier and look in the logs to see what errors there are . You can post them here if you need help.

recap 12:16 08 Jul 2004

Thanks AndySD, will post back my findings.

recap 12:32 08 Jul 2004

Most all Services have not started. Event ID 7001, (DHCP, DNS, Netlogon etc).
And Event ID 10010,Source DCOM, Description: the Server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The antivirus will not update as the network is down and I cannot log on to the Internet server.

Any further suggestions welcome.

recap 13:12 08 Jul 2004

Restarted server, this time with networking in safe mode running. Antivirus is now checking system.

AndySD 13:43 08 Jul 2004

ok

in the event viever look in the application and system logs for faults b4 you switched it off. As most services will show an error in safe mode.

recap 14:20 08 Jul 2004

Thanks AndySD, I installed a game on the server late last night for a Games Club we run here. That is what is causing the problem.

Am attempting to unistall it now.

Thanks again

recap 10:34 09 Jul 2004

Attempted to uninstall the software yesterday without any luck. The "install" that should be in the sytem32 folder isn't. Is this "installer" only in normal mode of which I cannot gain access to?

All services and thier dependant services will not start, generating an error 1077: No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Any ideas on how I can get these services started would be greatly appreciated.

AndySD 15:04 09 Jul 2004

My first thought is to go to msconfig (stert then run) in safe mode and make sure the game is not loading.

Then its down to the recovery console click here and disable services from starting on boot.so you are left with only the minimum needed to boot into 2000. (You can do this in safe mode to some extent. click here for the windows 2000 services )

recap 15:10 09 Jul 2004

Thanks AndySD, will give it a go.

I was able to get all services working in safe mode once, but as soon as I rebooted and loaded normally everything went again. Don't think I need say what was going through my head as it is unprintable in here.

AndySD 15:22 09 Jul 2004

Before ypu start disabling services have you tried sfc in safe mode???

Start then run then cmd. type in

sfc /scannow

hit enter.

but since you get into safe mode try disabling the display drivers first then booting to windows.... then sound and reboot...etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017