W2K nightmare

GazMaz 19:22 17 Oct 2006

I am having all sorts of issues, the latest is that my machine gets to the windows 2000 screen bootup and then reboots, I have got into Windows in Safe Mode but now need advice on how to figure out whats wrong!
Where on earth do I start, I am currently running an AVG and a Kaspersky full system scan, I have Hijack-This and have a report, and I also run (normally though not in safe mode) Lavasoft Ad-Aware, I occasionally run Spybot and normally do not find much in the way of issues.
I had to reload W2K recently as a SP4 + update failed and sent windows into a dive.
I think my issues lie there, as I'm in safe mode I can get to my files, should I try and find the issue, or backup and Format the disk and go for a complete re-install, all this a few days before I get another hard drive to ghost to....

Any help will be most gratefully received, and boy am I glad I have a work PC!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 17 Oct 2006

gets to the windows 2000 screen bootup and then reboots

Usually driver problems especially if it gets into safe mode OK.

ninstall / reinstall or update your drivers especially graphics and sound.

GazMaz 20:14 17 Oct 2006

Whilst in safe mode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 17 Oct 2006

Yes

GazMaz 20:38 17 Oct 2006

OK I think that the AVg and Kasp are not finding much so I'll stop/pause them and do the reinstall of drivers first.

GazMaz 21:28 17 Oct 2006

OK So I have un-installed and re-installed the video card, which by the way hasn't caused me issues before, not this card at least, I then un-installed the sound card completely and tried to boot without the card installed and no go. SO I went back into Safe and re-installed the sound card, and still no go.
What other drivers should I try?
I did notice an issue with Itunes which seemed to fail and won't run. Cannot un-install Itunes in Safe mode!

phil46 22:14 17 Oct 2006

Are you running with a log on password??
if you are as you go to enter password does it blue screen before you finish??

GazMaz 22:21 17 Oct 2006

No, no logon password more trouble than worth I found.
No it nearly gets to the blue screen then halts and starts to reboot.

GazMaz 22:27 17 Oct 2006

When I say nearly gets to the blue screen I mean the standard desktop screen just after the WINDOWS 2000 bootup screen, the progress bar gets almost all the way then, stops and starts again.

phil46 22:29 17 Oct 2006

I would also get rid of ITunes you will have to reinstall the system that means if you have a W98 or WME FLOPPY use FDISK and delete the none DOS partition then reinstall W2000 I KNOW BIG UPDATES to download if you haven't put them to CD ROM,i have run windows 2000 for some time and i have never managed to repair it.

phil46 22:32 17 Oct 2006

If it does what you said it's a driver problem have you checked the event log??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone